PDA

View Full Version : rare plecos?

Pele
11-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Im looking into getting some plecs for my tank. I was hoping for a butterfly or stingray plec. How rare are these at petstores and how expensive? Any other ideas for a pleco for a 46 galloner would also be appreciated

Red
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
I am taking it those are both hillstream loaches, they need a species only tank, with high flo and cooler waters.

Northernguy
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Start looking for breeders if you want different fish.
Some fish stores will also try and special order these fish for you.
It also doesn't hurt to drop in top the different stores in your area.People drop off unwanted fish all the time and you may stumble onto some.

Pele
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Yea, they're hillstreams. Would the butterfly work, and how expensive are they? If they seem unreasonable, what plecos (other than the bushynose) would work (im looking for a small one)?

Red
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
You could look at something like a clown pleco, and I am pretty sure a butterfly could work. Hillstreams can't.

Pele
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks, ill see if i can order a butterfly plec today!

sunfishman
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM
if you cant get one a gold nugget pleco may be good.

Jacko
11-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Hillstreams definitely wont work since they're a social loach, not a pleco despite being called that way too much.
Butterflies (Dekeyseria sp.) should be fine, but they need wood in their tank, so do alot of plecos so I'd definitely invest in a few peices if you don't have it already.

Clown, candy striped, snowball and false zebras would be good, they're all relatively inexpensive. Something to remember is that the rarer you're looking at, the pricier they are. You should probably go to your lfs, see what they've got that you're willing to pay for, write down the names somewhere, go home and look them up and then go back and get that one if any work out for what you plan.

nikkijo
02-22-2010, 05:08 AM
i bought a butterfly pleco 2 weeks ago for 25.00.. hes awesome, but hides out a lot.