PDA

View Full Version : WIld vs. Captive Bred

rhonin
11-16-2009, 05:00 AM
I have several tanks and am currently setting up an 80 gal Tang lake tank.

Question I have, and opinions are very welcome, is whether wild caught fish are better / worse than captive bred.

Currently I have a Comp, a Calvus and a Peacock that are wild caught.

The remainder of my fish are predominately captive bred.

I am giving some thought to doing my Tangan tank with wild caught fish...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

:22:

Lab_Rat
11-16-2009, 05:26 AM
I think that all depends on the fish in question. For example, GBR have become so overbred and hormoned up that the wild caught are actually hardier than the commercial farmed ones. With wild caught, they're more likely to be sensitive to water parameters than captive bred. Also, I think the coloration of wild caught or F1 are much better than many commercially bred fish.

rhonin
11-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Thx Lab_Rat!

Kinda what my research shows.
Am looking for opinions from active keepers and you are the first!

My wilds are:
-Inkfin Calvus
-Orange Compressiceps
-Blue Neon Chiwindi
-Synodontis petricola catfish

My LFS (great place!) is keeping an eye out.....

Thx!

Brookfish
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Personally I try for F1's I think they are that little bit hardier
and easier to acclimatise than wild caughts, just personal
preference though!

Deleted User
11-16-2009, 02:42 PM
I agree with Mike

F1's are the way to go. :ssmile:

Red
11-16-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree with mike and CF, I am not that big on wild fish, and don't like paying the price tag that comes with them. Esp. with all the breeding that goes on, I find it pointless to take fish out of the wild when they are bred in captivity. (I know some fish aren't)

rhonin
11-16-2009, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions.

My LFS get's them in occasionally (keeps an eye out for items I am interested in) and I had noticed that the wilds seem to be "better" - looking, attitude, just all round than the general stock. My comparison's rest mostly on peacocks, calvus, comp, and moorii's....
Just MHO.....

While I agree with going with F1, these seem harder to get in my area, or harder to confirm.

Thanks everyone! :22:

sheamurai
11-16-2009, 11:47 PM
My wild caught compressiceps is having a heck of a time acclimitising to my tank. He hardly eats, and is only now (after 5 weeks!) coming out from his chosen cave and defending it from other fish. Its my first experience with wild caught fish, and it will be my last. Along with being hard to acclimitise, the risk of parasites and such has just turned me off wild caught completely.
Plus, as has been previously stated, I don't like the idea of wild caught when there are breeders around. Buying this laddy was an error on my part - I didn't see the label "wild caught" on the tank until a subsequent visit, it wasn't with the name.

rhonin
11-17-2009, 02:18 AM
My wild caught compressiceps is having a heck of a time acclimitising to my tank. He hardly eats, and is only now (after 5 weeks!) coming out from his chosen cave and defending it from other fish. Its my first experience with wild caught fish, and it will be my last. Along with being hard to acclimitise, the risk of parasites and such has just turned me off wild caught completely.
Plus, as has been previously stated, I don't like the idea of wild caught when there are breeders around. Buying this laddy was an error on my part - I didn't see the label "wild caught" on the tank until a subsequent visit, it wasn't with the name.

Sorry to hear about your experience.
My Calvus went into my Malawi tank and within a day was cruising and eating. He has made the front center of the tank his "spot"!

My Comp hid for a couple of days (same tank as my calvus) but now cruises and munches. He is kind of a pig compared to the Calvus and prefers to cruise through the plants I have in the tank. Not shy by any means.

One thing I think helped me is I would watch the fish for a good 10-15 minutes (or more) in the tank before I put it on my "possible buy" list and the folks in my LFS are very knowledgable and open about anything they sell.

Don't let one bad experience put you off.
Remember: If a wild is for sale someone will buy it. They are not going to send it back.

Luck!!

sheamurai
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
They won't send it back no - but if no one bought them, they'd quit ordering them.

rhonin
11-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Sheamurai - I respect your opinion.

I'll stick to my wilds and F1's as I can find them.

I'll let you enjoy the others... :22:

Thx!!

sheamurai
11-18-2009, 03:12 AM
....:ssmile: ....

Brookfish
11-19-2009, 02:25 AM
That's one stunning comp Sheamuri, I hope it settles in for you bud!

rhonin
11-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Nice comp!thumbs2:

sheamurai
11-20-2009, 02:55 AM
thanks all....so skinny tho...I really hope he settles soon!