PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Problems =(

gloryfades
11-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I've had my 5g tank setup almost a month now.

I have 1 betta, 3 GloFish and an apple snail, all of which seemed to be getting along nicely.

However, I just came back from a weekend trip out of town, and I noticed that my betta's rear fin is significantly smaller than before I left, and slightly torn. :(

I have never witnessed any hostility between any of the fish towards each other, occasionally some curious pecks at the snail but nothing more. Any ideas what could have prompted the sudden violence? and will this now be a constant problem? I really do not have the resources or space to make a new tank.

Do you think the GloFish got desperate while going 48 hours with no food and decided to try Betta fins? I'm just guessing

Pele
11-15-2009, 11:14 PM
My guess is an ammonia buildup. Your tank is over stocked

Northernguy
11-15-2009, 11:34 PM
I think the glofish have been nipping at it.
If they haven't then it may be fin rot which I doubt it.
Have you tested your water lately?
If it wasn't cycled properly it may be very high in ammonia right now.
Start with a large water change,At least half.

gloryfades
11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
There is also a strange film that forms at the top of the tank. Its blue-ish in color and resembles a gasoline spill in a puddle. I have tried skimming it off the top several times but it continues to reappear, I have no idea what it is I will be buying a chemical test kit this week

Sharon
11-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Don't worry about what's floating on the water. It's protein build up and harmless. A little more surface agitation will get rid of it...

We do need your readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate...

gloryfades
11-17-2009, 01:32 AM
I just saw my betta laying on the bottom of the tank. he doesn't look like himself at all. I am hoping it is the water quality and not something else. I am in the process of doing a 50% water change.

Northernguy
11-17-2009, 02:55 AM
How often do you do these water changes?

gloryfades
11-17-2009, 03:29 AM
I usually change about 15-20% once a week but i did the 50% because someone above posted that it may help. I was told if its filtered the 20% weekly change should be fine, is that about right for a 5g?

tori.lock
11-17-2009, 06:20 AM
I personally would do a bigger change. I have a 3g and do a once-weekly 50% change.