PDA

View Full Version : Getting my oscar tank tomorrow!!

NWMountainTroll
04-14-2007, 05:22 AM
Been checking craigslist for the past week looking for tanks, and today a 65 gallon popped up that was exactly what I was looking for! It is a tall/deep tank which is what I need for an oscar, as well as for room restrictions. It comes with the stand and pretty much everything I need, the only thing wrong with it is the hood is broken. But anyways I'm getting it all for $165!! I'm sooo excited!

Lady Hobbs
04-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Congrats. No trouble with the hood at all. Pick up on of the glass tops. You'll like it better anyway.

NWMountainTroll
04-14-2007, 08:39 AM
I will check those out! I have a question though, how should I cycle the tank? Just like any other? I assume a baby oscar will not be putting out much of a bioload, so should I still go with 5ppm of ammonia a day? Get more bacteria built up than needed and then when I introduce it to the tank let the ones that aren't needed die off

TracyUK
04-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Congrats on the new tank, your new baby oscar will love it.

Nautilus291
04-14-2007, 10:41 AM
ya just cycle it like usuall. If you put any less than 5 in it will take longer to cycle. Make sure you filter that tank well. At first you should be fine but once that oscar grows he will be one messy fish.

kimmers318
04-14-2007, 12:06 PM
And make sure you get a top for it asap as ours love to jump and have been seen almost completely out of the water at feeding time. I would hate to see what might happen without a lid!

NWMountainTroll
04-14-2007, 02:37 PM
LoL I will do that! I am actually going to see the extent of the damage on the lid, maybe I can fix it.

The tank comes with a filter, but I'm not sure what kind. I am going to buy another though anyway, so that I can have two filters on there. It might be a couple weeks or so though, until the next paycheck but by that time I will have the tank cycled hopefully and it wont be an issue.:19:

NWMountainTroll
04-14-2007, 11:21 PM
Here it is guys!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/sameri/fishtank-1.jpg

Please excuse the condensation, the water from the hose was freezing! Of course I haven't gotten anything set up yet, but that's my new tank! :) I'm going to put a nice backing on the tank that will help block out any heat from the sun.

Drumachine09
04-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Here it is guys!

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b314/sameri/fishtank-1.jpg

Please excuse the condensation, the water from the hose was freezing! Of course I haven't gotten anything set up yet, but that's my new tank! :) I'm going to put a nice backing on the tank that will help block out any heat from the sun.

HEY! i have that EXACT stand! coincidence? lol

NWMountainTroll
04-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Haha sweet

Rue
04-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Not to be a party-pooper...

...but the tank looks un-level...and I think the window is going to cause big problems...

Drumachine09
04-14-2007, 11:48 PM
Not to be a party-pooper...

...but the tank looks un-level...and I think the window is going to cause big problems...

The cocoa_pleco says:

Ditto :4::4::4::4:

NWMountainTroll
04-15-2007, 12:06 AM
Hm, you are correct it does look like that doesn't it. Well shoot. Any ideas on how to fix it?

I'm not worried about the window, I'm going to put an insulating background on the tank.

Drumachine09
04-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Hm, you are correct it does look like that doesn't it. Well shoot. Any ideas on how to fix it?

I'm not worried about the window, I'm going to put an insulating background on the tank.

Shim the tank.

Ive never heard of an insulating background before. Thats cool!

NWMountainTroll
04-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Yep, I'm going to design one and I do believe it will work great! Shim the tank or the stand? The stand makes sense to me, I'll see if I can't find some plywood somewhere.

hungryhound
04-15-2007, 01:12 AM
Yep, I'm going to design one and I do believe it will work great! Shim the tank or the stand? The stand makes sense to me, I'll see if I can't find some plywood somewhere.

**Flashing red lights**

Shim the stand:laugh1blue:

**End flashing red lights**

In all seriousness though, good luck shiming the stand (I had to do the same with our tank, and carpet can make it a pain)

NWMountainTroll
04-15-2007, 08:58 AM
It's thin carpet with concrete underneath so I don't think that it will be too big of a problem. I have a really nice leveler also, I'm kicking myself for not doing that earlier though the thought didn't even cross my mind! Thanks for pointing that out to me.