PDA

View Full Version : Sad morning, female clown dead

labnjab
11-15-2009, 06:24 PM
We woke up this morning to find our female clown dead. The only thing I found wrong with her body is it has a really, really thick slime coat. Yesterday and even last night she looked fine and was eating. Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0, and ph was 8. All coral and the other 2 fish are doing great. Is there something that could cause instant death? We found here on the bottom next to our open brain, but I doubt that stung her cause she's always in our nem. We've had her over a year so this is a sad loss.

One question, how long before the male becomes female? We'd like to get a replacement as soon as possible, but if the male is going to turn into female quickly then we need to get another male Thank you for any help

Rue
11-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I'm very sorry...the clowns, like goldfish, are very 'puppy-like' fish...you really get attached to them...

MCHRKiller
11-15-2009, 08:38 PM
In cases like that youll just probably never know what happens, which sucks. But there are honestly a vast number of reasons that fish could have suddenly died, most likely if it was a young fish it probably just had an internal abnormality that just eventually killed it. I would go on ahead and buy a male clownfish in a few days yours being established in the tank will most likely go ahead and change to a female or will take the role when the new male is added.

labnjab
11-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Thank you, It is a very sad loss. She was 3 years old. We bought it a year ago from a friend that hand raised her and had her for 2 years. I'm wondering if she just had a heart attack. She looked and acted normal last night. We'll buy a male at some point this week. Then we have to try and remove our hawkfish temporarily before we add the new fish so he doesn't try and kill it

Lady Hobbs
11-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Very, very sorry Lab. So easy to get very attached to a fish and they always seem to be the ones we loose....or maybe it's because we feel it more!

Miltonic
11-15-2009, 10:27 PM
sorry to hear about the death of your female, it is hard to lose a pet that been with you for that long. Hopefully your male clown wont feel too lonely while you get him a new mate.

labnjab
11-15-2009, 10:28 PM
Thank you hobbs. This is our second big loss in a month or so. Our first being our Oranda. I had a love/ hate relation ship with that clown. I loved her and she hated me, lol. She attacked me every time I was in the tank

labnjab
11-15-2009, 10:29 PM
sorry to hear about the death of your female, it is hard to lose a pet that been with you for that long. Hopefully your male clown wont feel too lonely while you get him a new mate.

Thanks milt. I hope he doesn't get lonely either. He's been hiding under his nem all day

labnjab
11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Poor little guys scared to death to leave his nem. I fed the tank this morning and he wouldn't go near the food til it was just above him and then he darted for cover under the nem. I think the female was his body gaurd and kept everyone else from bullying him. I saw the coral banded shrimp try and go after him last night, but he swatted it and hid in the nem, then the CBS left him alone. So far it seems to be just the cbs thats causing problems and the hawkfish is leaving him alone

jumpinjimmy
02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
poor little guy! good luck with the new clown!

Aeonflame
02-03-2010, 07:47 PM
old thread dude