PDA

View Full Version : Ranchu, Balloon mollies and black moor?

Mara_bird
11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Will my new Ranchu and Balloon mollies get long with my black moor? he just seems to be avoiding them right now, other than that, no nipping, other than the male molly annoying the crap outta my pregnant female molly.

bigbad-ratman
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
right off the bat, i dont think they will all be happy with their surroundings. goldfish are coldwater fish that are very messy/high bio load. dont have mollies, but when it comes to feedings, it is not hard to imagine the goldies bullying them out of the way. mollies are tropical fish that would like the water warmer than the goldies.

Mara_bird
11-15-2009, 06:23 PM
right off the bat, i dont think they will all be happy with their surroundings. goldfish are coldwater fish that are very messy/high bio load. dont have mollies, but when it comes to feedings, it is not hard to imagine the goldies bullying them out of the way. mollies are tropical fish that would like the water warmer than the goldies.

well, at feeding times it's actually the opposite I was worried about because the mollies are fast and both kinds of goldfish have handicaps, the moor has poor eyesight and the Ranchu has a very short "tucked" tail and swims slow. I dunno, the male molly has really taken to the ranchu, they hang out alot, when he's not chasing the female molly.

And I asked at the petshop and was told that both the goldies and the mollies were kept in room temperature tanks[tanks with out heaters or cooling systems]

Scrup
11-15-2009, 07:02 PM
the mollies might pick at the goldfish/s slime coat, and possibly the moors eyes. I had one balloon molly that would harass my comets non-stop.

annageckos
12-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Mollies are not coldwater fish, they are tropical. It is hard to trust LFS. Most will tell you what you want to hear to get a sale, some just don't know. I am always leary about what they say. I use to work at a pet store and we cared about the fish and other animals too. One time we hired someone who was just looking to tell people what they wanted to hear and we acually stopped that person who wanted to mix african and SA cichlids when they where getting ready to pay. Found out more about thier tank and sold them the right mix. Needless to say that guy didn't last long in our store. Anyways, sorry got off track. You really need to pick either the goldfish or tropical(mollies). They shouldn't be mixed as they have different needs. And while they will "look ok, doing fine" the mollies will be stressed (even if you don't see and/or realize it) and it will take it's toll on them.