PDA

View Full Version : Preparing Manzanita wood?

Maestro
11-14-2009, 11:47 PM
I am considering changing the hard scape of my RCS aquarium, by adding Manzanita wood. I have only recently even heard of it, but it looks like exactly what I have been looking for.

Now, where can I buy some? I would prefer to buy it in a shop as opposed to online. Will it already be set to go in the aquarium, or do I have to coat it with something to prevent rotting? If so, what do I coat it with?

Discus_Dude
11-15-2009, 12:05 AM
I bought mine online, but all that is needed is to presoak it so it stays under.

Hope that helps!

Sarkazmo
11-15-2009, 12:20 AM
There's a couple people on Plantedtank.net in their Swap n Shop section that sell Manzanita packages as well as individual pieces. I got mine there and couldn't be happier.

Most sellers blast the pieces with a high pressure water sprayer that takes off most of the bark and such. You can put it in with or without bark. As DD said above basically you just have to soak it for a while so it'll sink. The wood takes on water pretty quickly so you rarely have to soak for more than a day, if that. I've got it in four of my tanks and I love the stuff.

Mopani is a great wood also. It's typically very gnarled and knotty with great grain and texture. Mopani can usually be found at most LFS and big chain stores.

Sark

Maestro
11-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I read that they can be found in the Bird sections of pet stores. I am heading out to one tomorrow, so I will look for it. If no luck, then I will check out plantedtank.net.

tetra
11-15-2009, 03:52 AM
Soak it for a few days in a bucket and change the water a few times, When i did mine the water turned yellowish so i changed the water a few times and it was ok after that.

Maestro
11-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Thanks for the advice tetra, will do.

So basically it's just like preparing driftwood? Sounds easy enough! Now I just have to find some...

Lady Hobbs
11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Fish stores have it all processed and ready to go. Not sure where your location is but PetSmart carries it. Lovely wood, tho, and you have good taste.

Crispy
11-15-2009, 04:06 PM
manzanita, mopani, and malasian are all good woods to use in a fishtank. Most petstores should carry some type of driftwood. You can also check the reptile section. It's usually ready to use after a good, hot soaking.

Maestro
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Lovely wood, tho, and you have good taste.
Thank you! :19:

I have several LFS that I regularly use, but they usually carry Malaysian and Mopani Wood. I have several pieces of Malaysian Wood lying around, but for this tank I would like to get a more "branchy" piece of wood.

Since I rarely look around the Reptile and Bird sections of my LFS, I will check them out today. Lady Hobbs, I do have a Petsmart in my area, so I will definitely be going there today. I will let you know how it goes later.

Maestro
11-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Success!

I bought the last 2 pieces of Manzanita Wood from Petsmart. They are soaking as I type. Pictures should be up of the tank next weekend, once everything gets settled.