PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo in aquarium?

mattsbottleofjager
11-14-2009, 10:14 PM
Are any of the green bamboo plants aquatic? I got one from my sister today and don't know if I should bother planting it.

HomaridNoob6
11-14-2009, 11:23 PM
If they're fully submerged they start to rot away I'm pretty sure. I think as long as they come out of the water at the top they're ok.

Lab_Rat
11-14-2009, 11:40 PM
If they're fully submerged they start to rot away I'm pretty sure. I think as long as they come out of the water at the top they're ok.

What lobsternoob said.

rich311k
11-15-2009, 12:53 AM
They are not an aquatic plant. They will last a while though.

rhonin
11-15-2009, 02:20 AM
If you have a long short tank they make a great deco.

Plant a few as a small "pseudo" forest. Smaller fish love it!

Just remember to keep the tops above the water line.

:fish:

mattsbottleofjager
11-15-2009, 02:40 AM
Ah well crap, thanks for the answers everyone. I guess I will have to find another home for it as its only about 2/3 of the way up my 72g.

AABatteries
11-15-2009, 04:55 AM
I'll take it, maybe. ;)

Pele
11-15-2009, 05:11 AM
Make a big mound of gravel and place the bamboo on that!

AdrienDeLaChicago
05-15-2010, 11:05 AM
If you're willing to go through the trouble, you can immerse it completely then after a week put it in a vase with water so that the leaves can 'breath' above water. Clean the leaves gently of any algae and then after a couple of days stick them back in the water again. It's like cycling them in and out of water.

I've done this before and kept them for about 6 months this way. I didn't mind the work as I'm always tinkering with my tanks on a daily basis anyway.

Lady Hobbs
05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Or maybe put it in a pot of some kind so it is raised above water level. Sit the pot on rocks, if need be.

annageckos
05-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Get one of thoses containers that hang on the side of the tank like they use for bettas and put some gravle and/or plant substrate in it along with the bamboo. That way the top of the plant will be above the water. If you have a HOB filter you can stick it in there too. I do that sometimes.

korweabo0
05-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Get one of thoses containers that hang on the side of the tank like they use for bettas and put some gravle and/or plant substrate in it along with the bamboo. That way the top of the plant will be above the water. If you have a HOB filter you can stick it in there too. I do that sometimes.

ha! i never thought of this.

troy
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
My lucky bamboo plant is "planted" in my filter. I've had it for over 2.5 years.

Sarkazmo
05-16-2010, 01:35 AM
My lucky bamboo plant is "planted" in my filter. I've had it for over 2.5 years.

Got any pics? I'd like to see this.

Sark

The Curious
05-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Bamboo in the filter...I like that idea. that would be beneficial to the tank too wouldn't it? The roots should take nitrates from the tank water...I might have to implement this idea...good stuff.

I had a forest of bamboo in an old 20 long i used to have. The schooling fish loved it, and it looked truly awesome having bamboo coming about a foot out of the tank.

Lady Hobbs
05-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Cool idea.

Ashley
05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
I want to see a picture of the bamboo in the filter.

plantedlab
03-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Curious, I love the bamboo forest idea. Might have to try that one. As far as bamboo in the filter, How do you clean the filter?

Lady Hobbs
03-03-2011, 10:57 PM
I have spider plants in my filter. They are another one that rots in the water. Pull it out, clean the filter, replace the plant.

Tiffany
03-12-2011, 02:48 AM
I have also been trying to decorate one of my 55 gal tanks and after looking the at the tank pictures in the gallery I realize I have no idea what I'm doing. The tanks are so stunning that you all have! I also noticed that most of the tanks look as though everyone is using live plants so today I purchased some bamboo and I was wondering if my Angelfish are in any danger with having the bamboo in there? Any and all advise please...

Goes to 11!
03-12-2011, 02:59 AM
today I purchased some bamboo and I was wondering if my Angelfish are in any danger with having the bamboo in there? Any and all advise please...
No, It does not endanger your Angels but as is mentioned previously in this very thread - Bamboo is not an aquatic plant and will rot in your tank.