PDA

View Full Version : Pics of proud kigoma parents and fry

Crispy
11-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Well, I usually don't get any decent shots of my fry, but thought I'd post some of the kigoma babies that are in a breeder net in my sump. Stripped them a week ago. Also got the proud parents who are getting quite large. (about 4 years old now) :fish:

Not the best pics, but pretty decent for my crappy point and shoot camera and my poor, impatient photoskills. :hmm3grin2orange:

rich311k
11-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Great fish! Congrats on the fry.

Lab_Rat
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Congrats Crispy!

hybridguy
11-14-2009, 09:52 PM
Awesome pics crispy, congrats on the fry. Wow that clown in the last pic is a hoss! How big is the male? Are all kigoma frontosa 7 stripe?

Crispy
11-15-2009, 02:30 PM
Awesome pics crispy, congrats on the fry. Wow that clown in the last pic is a hoss! How big is the male? Are all kigoma frontosa 7 stripe?

Thanks! I have one male kigoma who only has 6 stripes, but all the rest have 7. My alpha male in the photos is 8". He looks much bigger in person.

Yes, the clowns are getting to a nice size now... real piggies. :)

Brookfish
11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Wtg mate, congrats on the fry, and the parents are stunners!

hybridguy
11-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Thats funny how some have 7 stripes, i had one i called rocky, he looked like someone punched him in the face his lips were angled to one side of his head, he was a 7 stripe. i always heard 7 stripes a worth more than 6.

Crispy
11-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Thats funny how some have 7 stripes, i had one i called rocky, he looked like someone punched him in the face his lips were angled to one side of his head, he was a 7 stripe. i always heard 7 stripes a worth more than 6.

I believe the kigoma variant is the only 7-stripe front. I see all other variants around here except for kigomas. Not sure how rare they are compared to other fronts, but they are on the more expensive side. Kigomas have lots of yellow in their dorsal. I know burundi is the most common front.

hybridguy
11-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Yea that is what mine are. Do you ever sale or trade your fry?

Crispy
11-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Yea that is what mine are. Do you ever sale or trade your fry?

Yes I do... anything to cut the costs of maintaining my tank. :fish:

kaybee
11-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Congrats! Nice fry!

I believe the kigoma variant is the only 7-stripe front.

There are at least two and possibly up to three known 7-stripe frontosa variants: the Kigoma, the Boulomboro and the Bangwe (the last two may actually be the same variant since they are practically identical and collected in the same general vicinity).

Of these the Kigoma is the best known and most commonly available 7-striper in the hobby. When I got my kigoma's they were identical in price to the burundi's.

Crispy
11-15-2009, 04:52 PM
There are at least two and possibly up to three known 7-stripe frontosa variants: the Kigoma, the Boulomboro and the Bangwe (the last two may actually be the same variant since they are practically identical and collected in the same general vicinity).

Of these the Kigoma is the best known and most commonly available 7-striper in the hobby. When I got my kigoma's they were identical in price to the burundi's.

http://frontosa.com/portal.php?page=3

Good post kaybee... made me lookup a collection point map. I hope this link works cuz it shows which variants are very closely related and most common.
Looks like burundis are most common as is reflected in my LFS' prices. They are half the price of any other variant around here (I believe due to their availability).

rhonin
11-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Nice looking parents!

Best of luck with the fry!

thumbs2:

hybridguy
11-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Yes I do... anything to cut the costs of maintaining my tank. :fish:

How much for babys? can they travel from can. to alabama?

Crispy
11-17-2009, 02:05 AM
How much for babys? can they travel from can. to alabama?

I will look into it for you. Would be nice to see them goto another AC member.

hybridguy
11-17-2009, 02:08 AM
I will look into it for you. Would be nice to see them goto another AC member.

OK cool, you probably dont want any burundi but i have some fry and i think ours are the same age. i know yours are worth more than mine.

Crispy
11-17-2009, 11:30 AM
OK cool, you probably dont want any burundi but i have some fry and i think ours are the same age. i know yours are worth more than mine.

Burundi are very common around here... I'm sticking with the kigomas. :ssmile: