PDA

View Full Version : 3d back ground and filter tubes

tetra
11-14-2009, 06:09 PM
I got a 3d back ground craved out of some styro foam. And I was curious as how others ran there filter intake tubes and sprayer bars or filters in general.

Jason

matthew.shelly
11-14-2009, 06:15 PM
all the ones ive seen have had slits in the foam that allowed water to flow to the intake behind the background. they normally put the slits between the rocks (if youre making it a rock background) and then have the outtake flow over the top of the background.
ill try to find some links to some of the better ones ive seen.

tetra
11-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks that would be great, I have been looking but i have yet to see something with a good picture of the filter set up.

Jason

Northernguy
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I had to cut room for the intake to go.
I ended up making a corner out of it to stack rocks against.It had to be siliconed in to stay in place,I used rock to hold it.
Most canister filters have an extension to reach past the background.

tetra
11-14-2009, 09:06 PM
thanks northern guy, That gives me a few ideas what i am going to do. All My rocks are made of foam. so i think i will notch it enough so i can slide the tube in and plug the holes till after i concrete it and then silicone the tube in.

I am trying to go for as natural and tidy as i can go. When i get some more progess i will start a build thread and post some pictures.

Crispy
11-14-2009, 09:10 PM
You'll want your intake to be able to pull suspended particles and such out of the water, so don't put it behind your background.

tetra
11-14-2009, 09:27 PM
I wasnt planning on that i juast gona notch out the foam and cover it with more foam. The only part you will be able to see would be the bottom of the intake tube.

tetra
11-16-2009, 03:25 AM
This is what i ended up doing, Now on to the spray bar

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w191/crazy_newf_2007/Aqurium/newtank.jpg