PDA

View Full Version : my fiddler crab is dead...

nickiiyumyum
11-14-2009, 07:29 AM
I just got off work and came home to a dead crab...his claw and a leg had fallen off and were sitting close by..what could have happened? I had him in the right environment, brakish water, land everything! I purchased him from Walmart however, he was completely submerged in fresh water..I think he may have picked up a disease or something..what do you think? The only reason I bought him from there was because that was the only place they sell fiddlers around here by the way ):
So I still want to get a crab and the only kind our pet store has is Halloween Crabs, what do you think about them?

Lady Hobbs
11-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Sorry you've had no help with your problem yet and I can offer up nothing, either. Perhaps your thread will get bumped up now and catch someones attention.

I wonder how hard it is to keep crabs. Seems we read often here of them dying.

Come on people. Let's help this guy out.

AABatteries
11-15-2009, 04:25 AM
Poor crab...

Did you have any land for him to go on?

aquatic lover
11-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Fiddlers in freshwater develop dieseses. Halloween crabs are great. Although I don't remember if they are saltwater or freshwater. Don't ever buy fiddlers from wal mart. Wal mart never takes good care of their fish and inverts. Halloween crabs need land and they love to climb and hide. My advice is to research them before you buy them. It was walmart that lead the fiddler crab to it's death, not you.

aggiebones
04-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Fiddlers in freshwater develop dieseses. Halloween crabs are great. Although I don't remember if they are saltwater or freshwater. Don't ever buy fiddlers from wal mart. Wal mart never takes good care of their fish and inverts. Halloween crabs need land and they love to climb and hide. My advice is to research them before you buy them. It was walmart that lead the fiddler crab to it's death, not you.

My fiddler crab died today. Though now I'm panicking that he was just molting. Though I flipped him around and checked him out a good bit. He seemed pretty dead. How long does it normally take and don't they move a bit? The female was on top of him and seemed to be ready to take care of her tank responsibilities. She has taught me which fish shouldn't be in a tank with a crab :)
I really hope I didn't just feck up and flush a healthy crab. He was happy last night sitting on the thermometer for air last night. I have a bit of floating land with sand and saltwater. My lady crab goes there all the time, but he doesn't. He climbs up the plant and hangs out or swims to the thermometer. I'll miss him waving his claw at me every day. NOOO, he was waving at me!