PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo shrimp and pond snails

gm72
11-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Is there any risk in keeping them together? Would love to keep the shrimp in my guppy party tank (that also has a large number of snails, which is fine--they are harvested for food for the loaches).

rich311k
11-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I cant imagine any conflict. They probably will ignore each other.

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2009, 11:31 PM
I had them together too with no problem. Like, when haven't I had snails!
lol

Northernguy
11-13-2009, 11:54 PM
You could always put one in the tank and see how it does as a loner.
I doubt anything will happen.The only concern would be when it molts but as long as it moves the guppies should leave it alone.

gm72
11-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Good thoughts. I have a small school of panda cories in there now but think the shrimp would be a cool replacement (I'll move the cories to one of the other tanks).

How many do you think I should keep together? I was thinking 3-5 of them?

Lady Hobbs
11-14-2009, 01:50 PM
The more the merrier and will make up for any losses. You should be able to have guppies, cories and snails, I believe.

Sarkazmo
11-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Bamboo shrimp are actually quite large compared to the dwarfs like RCS, CRS, and Ghosts. It's a filter feeder so it'll sit in the current and filter the water with it's 'fans'. This is not a cleaner shrimp and will not clean the bottom like other shrimps and Corys. It's a defenseless shrimp but it's significant size should deter Guppies or anything of similar size or even larger fish will probably leave it alone but true enough that it'll be more vulnerable in that state. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Sark

Lab_Rat
11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
I added a bamboo shrimp to my 29g tank last week and he appears to be doing well. I only added one because I was worried my fish would kill him (have a gourami, rams, and an apisto in there too) but so far they leave him alone. I may add a couple more, they're really cool.