PDA

View Full Version : Illegal to Feed... Feeders?

VoidParadigm
11-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Is it illegal to feed live fish/feeders to predatory fish in some parts of the world?

A lot of the time when I'm just trying to enjoy a good predatory catfish video I see all these comments claiming my above statement and all "It's illegal to feed living creatures to other living creatures, it's animal abuse, blahblahblah, I'm going to report you, blahblahblah."

So, is this true, a constantly overlooked law, or just a load of hooey?

Thanks in advance,
Void :22:

Sarkazmo
11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Ummm... I've never heard of this. I know it's certainly not that way in the US. I've never heard anyone anywhere in the world saying that it's illegal. I guess it could be... somewhere... dunno where though... can't even think of a place...

Sark

Scrup
11-13-2009, 08:52 PM
It is illegal in some parts of europe. Probably not enforced, and next to impossible to charge someone for it....but I think it states something like "knowingly placing any animal in a situation where it will come into harm" and is considered animal cruelty.

Northernguy
11-13-2009, 09:53 PM
It does bother some people (like me ) when people feed furry things to their fish.
For most fish to eat another fish is just a fast gulp and all you see is a few scales.Its when furry things are tossed in and you see the animal suffer that pisses me off.
As for it being against the law,I have never heard of it!

Lady Hobbs
11-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Fish eat other fish in the wild. But I see on YouTube people feeding their fish mice and hairy things, too, and find that discusting. Fish's digestive system are not meant to eat hair!

sheamurai
11-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Hmph, doesn't make sense that the natural food chain would be against the law. next thing, it will be illegal for your cat to catch a mouse.
Doesn't mean it isn't a law somewhere tho, sorry I don't know.

Crispy
11-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I totally agree with furry critters being disgusting feeders, but fish?!? haha...
...and what about all those poor crickets?? :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
11-13-2009, 10:32 PM
I don't like the idea of feeder fish either...

Insects don't bother me as much...

I like processed foods...or at least dead...

clayton
11-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Definately not illegal here. My LFS charges .25 to feed a goldfish to the Red Tail Catfish. I sound like I'm headed to the arcade when I go in there, lol.

VoidParadigm
11-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the help and opinions, everyone. :22:

ARN209
12-06-2009, 08:57 AM
Up with feeder fish, down with feeder mice. If you ask me, I'd rather have A fish dinner over a mouse dinner any night.

annageckos
12-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Fish and reptiles are usally outside of animal crulty laws. I have never heard of it being illeagle to use feeder fish as feeders.

splitadams
12-22-2009, 07:26 AM
its not illegal to feed live fish here in Australia but it is illegal to feed live mice to animals

VoidParadigm
12-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Interesting to know. Thanks splitadams.