PDA

View Full Version : Are they hibernating indoors?

scruffy
11-13-2009, 12:00 AM
I have 2 comets and a blackmoore who have always lived inside. Lately, I've noticed them sleeping a lot more these past few weeks. I usually don't have a heater on unless someone has ich and their water feels room temperature to the touch. I do keep their light on until I go to bed and there is a lamp and south facing windows in the room where they live. Do you think they can tell the days are getting shorter and that it's time to hibernate?

I'll admit the blackmoore might not be feeling well since he appears to have injured one of his eyes. The other two, when they're up they are really up!
Don't have any parameters unfortunately. I'm at work.

S

Scrup
11-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Temperature is the big factor in hibernation with goldfish, not time of year. If the water is below 50 F, then yes, they probably are hibernating. If it is room temperature and your room isn't an icebox, then no, it is not hibernation.

VoidParadigm
11-13-2009, 12:54 AM
The lower their temperature, the lower their activity. Despite not being in heated pools during the winter my goldfish never technically hibernate until mid-January. And then I'm lucky if that lasts until the end of February.

Your goldfish could just be sleeping at a different time than normal.

I've never had a fancy goldfish who would hibernate properly, so don't know about your Blackmoore, but unless there's something obviously wrong with the tank I say the comets are just resting a little more. The amount of light that gets into the tank (ie. shorter days) could in fact be affecting them, as many common aquarium fish go to sleep whenever it's dim to dark.

What temperature do you keep your house at currently?