PDA

View Full Version : Bettas and peas

Rue
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Almost every betta site I've been to has mentioned feeding peas to bettas.

I don't understand why.

Goldfish will eat peas. Goldfish are omnivores.

Bettas are carnivores. They don't eat plant material.

Remember when you could buy a betta vase? The betta was supposed to eat the roots of the plant? Instead they starved?

I can't imagine why a betta would voluntarily eat plant material. However, let's suppose in the wild a constipated betta (fairly unlikely event in the first place I'd think) somehow knew it should eat plant material to clear up its digestive system...

...do you think it would find a pea? I'm fairly sure there aren't blanched peas floating around the swamps in Thailand.

A betta might check out a pea - as an object of interest - and maybe give it a nibble to explore it - but I doubt they'd eat it.

Now, goldfish - since they do eat plant material - would try out a pea, even though it's not likely they'd find them floating around either - just because they're more opportunistic eaters.

I'm open to hearing arguements now...:hmm3grin2orange:

rich311k
11-12-2009, 07:08 PM
They eat insects etc. which have eaten plant materials. In captivity the pellets etc have no greens in them.

Rue
11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
True - but I still can't see a betta wanting to eat a pea - which looks/behaves nothing like an insect...

Brookfish
11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
I have heard of Betta keepers feeding peas Rue, they just squish
them up a bit. thumbs2:

Rue
11-12-2009, 07:55 PM
I've heard of it too...I'm just questioning whether the bettas eat the peas, or just look like they're eating the peas...

Northernguy
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
My betta doesn't eat peas all the time but has on a few occasions.He has ignored them more than once.

tori.lock
11-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I've tried it twice. The first time he went after it, then ignored it, but I left if there for about half an hour. When I went back to take it out it was gone. The second time he wanted nothing to do with it, other than to attack it for a few minutes, then leave it be.

As for the roots, I actually have seen my betta nibbling at the roots of my anubias. Of course it's no diet substitute, but I'm sure it provides them with some nutrients they would normally get in the wild and is not provided for in their flake/pellet food we give them. Many carnivores will eat plants to get the vitamins they need. Here's a yahoo answer's page about dogs eating grass that's the same theory. In the wild they eat animals that eat plants, so they are eating plants, but the food we provide lacks those nutrients.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070512100459AALm6h4

VoidParadigm
11-13-2009, 01:20 AM
Both my dogs and cats try to get at plant material (to the point of crying at the door for it, even) whenever they aren't feeling well. Keeping that in my mind it's logical that a betta, if it felt the need, would nibble at plants even in a natural enviroment every now and then. Granted, it's probably not peas... but you get my point. :lol:

Rue
11-13-2009, 03:35 AM
I'm not convinced. Someone do a scientific study...:hmm3grin2orange:

Surely someone with MTS and a love of bettas would be willing...and when the dietary experiment is done - they can all just be pets...thumbs2:

I figure we need 10 control tanks with one betta in each (pellets only), 10 meat only (bloodworm only?) tanks, 10 meat (bloodworm) and pea tanks...but you have to measure the 'before and after' pea weights...to see how much has been consumed...

Each fish will be measured for constipation and overall health. A straightforward score system should be sufficient.

Easy-peasy! (Pun intended).

VoidParadigm
11-13-2009, 03:36 AM
I keep all omnivore fish. (Well, never gotten a clear answer on the gouramis, but as they LOVE rice and veggies I'm claiming omni.) Sorry! =P

tori.lock
11-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Yesterday I wanted to do another pea test, and it was successful. I just took a frozen pea, microwaved it, and then pealed and squished it. I dropped the sections that came apart into the tank where Moose could see them fall and he went after each one. The second one he even chased down as it sank. No signs of him not liking them as he stuffed himself on it.

Rue
11-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Okay...that's one betta...now we need 29 more...:hmm3grin2orange:

iceywind
11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
My betta will eat anything that he can fit into his mouth, including peas. I warm a frozen one up and peel the skin off and smoosh it into betta sized pieces. He chases the pieces as they fall and gobbles them up. He's always eats peas when I give them to him.

Rue
11-17-2009, 06:16 PM
Woohoo! That's two! Need 28 more!

AmyLynn
11-18-2009, 02:21 AM
My guy adores his peas. Just like the others I heat, peel and squish. He chases them down and then before eating he races around the tank with it in his mouth. But he always eats them all up.

Rue
11-18-2009, 03:17 AM
Cool!thumbs2:

At this rate we'll have the entire experiment up and running in no time!

Who's up for some stats?

Neon
11-18-2009, 10:12 AM
my Betta ate also algae wafers which were supposed for the Otos....

Sharon
11-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Rue, I've had several Bettas....they all loved peas! Who'd have thunk it???:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
11-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Not me! That's for sure!

Seems the tide is turning...and I'll have to change my mind...:help: :hmm3grin2orange:

Pandora
11-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Yep, my guy likes peas too.

Rue
11-20-2009, 03:07 PM
...heh heh...the tank runneth over with pea-eating bettas...who knew???:hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
11-20-2009, 03:12 PM
...heh heh...the tank runneth over with pea-eating bettas...who knew???:hmm3grin2orange:
lol I guess yours is just spoiled!:hmm3grin2orange:

ravenmyth
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Not sure if its true but I've read that a weekly pea helps prevent bowel problems like constipation with Bettas. :22:

Rue
11-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Given that some bettas apparently DO eat peas...it can't hurt to try.

Now I'm wondering why bettas get constipated in the first place...if that's what it even is...

Little Embers
11-22-2009, 06:18 PM
Now I'm wondering why bettas get constipated in the first place...if that's what it even is...
Just like us, one main reason is lack of fibre in their diet, another is overfeeding. Particularly in an aquarium setting and just feeding them the commercial "Betta" food which is mainly protein, they don't get enough fibre. In the wild, as others have said, I'm sure they nibble on plants now and then, carnivorous animals also have an instinct to know when they need to eat a bit of greenery.

It doesn't specifically have to be peas if your betta won't eat them, anything that is fibrous and/or has a laxative affect is good, daphnia and baby brine shrimp (frozen is fine) are other laxative foods, as can be spirulina.

aquakid
11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
You can feed bettas peas.