PDA

View Full Version : veggies

Pele
11-12-2009, 05:46 PM
How do you guy get your betta to eat veggies? Whenever i try to feed mine peas, they sink and fowl up the water. What am i doing wrong?

Northernguy
11-12-2009, 05:51 PM
They must be blanched first.Partially cooked.
Peel them and squish them as you drop it in.Only one will do.If it doesn't eat it in ten minutes,remove it.Try again later.
It may not eat it,some are picky.
Mine has eaten it a few times but not all.

CherrySparkles
12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
How do you guy get your betta to eat veggies? Whenever i try to feed mine peas, they sink and fowl up the water. What am i doing wrong?

Just to add, and apologies if you already know this, I think peas are the only veggies recommended to feed to bettas. They're used as a laxative for fish who are bloated or backed up. Bettas are strict carnivores (they eat bugs and zooplankton in the wild) and don't need veggie matter, except in the instance of constipation. Even then, they only need the fibre, as their digestive systems aren't designed to get nutrition from plants.

I feed my betta frozen daphnia instead, since I understand daphnia has as much of a laxative effect as peas. Also, daphnia are a very very small water insect, so they're the kind of thing a betta would eat naturally, and mine always gobbles it right up. :)

annageckos
12-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Swish it up into almost a paste, they need to be blanched for this. Frozen works too. Add a teny tiny bit. Some will eat it, some won't. I have also heard of people putting a tiny piece on the end of a toothpick. Put infront of betta and hope he eats it.

Tetris
12-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Mix the pea in with a bit of garlic. Garlic is used in brand name fish foods to make the food more appealing. Garlic is also used to scent/flavour fishing lures... Fish like garlic, and luckily garlic juices can be added to virtually anything...