PDA

View Full Version : goldfish aquarium temperature

nmallardi
11-11-2009, 09:02 PM
hi there -
i was interested in setting up a small temporary aquarium for goldfish in my home and was concerned about controlling the heat in the tank. i have read that 60-70f is ideal but i think winter temps in our apt can get pretty high during the heating season. any suggestions on how to stabilize the temp or protect the fish would be appreciated..thanks

my plan is to set up an existing 29 gallon tank for 3 tbd goldfish which i would hopefully transfer to a pond in our yard in the spring..contingent of course on the completion of said pond!

smaug
11-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Thats a common misconception about goldfish.Altough they do very well in cooler water they will do just as well in a warm water tank.The temps in my pond during the summer go to 80 plus deg everyday with no ill affects to the fish.

Rue
11-11-2009, 10:43 PM
I dunno...a pond might be large enough that they have better air, or are somehow able to cool down...

I can't keep goldfish upstairs in our house, the heat in the summer kills them. Took me a long time to figure that out.

Now they're in the basement and are just fine...water temp is around 65F.

Scrup
11-11-2009, 11:46 PM
higher temps require more aeration, and increases the lethality of certain substances- nitrates included.

smaug
11-11-2009, 11:49 PM
I dunno...a pond might be large enough that they have better air, or are somehow able to cool down...

I can't keep goldfish upstairs in our house, the heat in the summer kills them. Took me a long time to figure that out.

Now they're in the basement and are just fine...water temp is around 65F.
There are limits.How warm did the water get upstairs?If it doesnt get more then 85 for extended periods it shouldnt be any more difficult to keep goldys alive then many trops.That being said,as aji mentions,better attention should be payed to goldys when kept warm then trops.