PDA

View Full Version : help with frontosas

morgangallow
11-11-2009, 07:42 AM
hey guys, so i've worked at a local petshop for 8 months or so now, found great interest in the fish side, and am taking an active roll in the day to day running of the section. the only other two people working on that side, the fish geniuses, up and quit on us the other day, that basically leaves me in charge... these guys left me with quite a mess. as everything is very unorganized or marked wrong or blah blah blah. POINT IS. there is a tank we usually keep just plants in, but there are what i believe to be some kind of frontosa in. I ask you fine folks to help me
a) I.D. these guys
b) help me price them
c) let me know about tank mates
17471 i was wondering if they could go in this tank??

as far as pricing goes... kribs are $9.99 as well as firemouths, and everything in that tank pictured, labeled assorted africans.. oscars are $14.99 around 3 inches. a "sunset peacock" is at $19.99 all in canadian dollars just to give you comparisons.
as always i appreciate any and all help for me. and it will help out the store too! thanks

Deleted User
11-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Hi

I would think your frontosa are Burundi.

My LFS sell 2" Burundi for £12 each ( no idea on how much that would be ni $ Canadian. )

No they could not be put in the other tank because the other fish would beat them up.

Frontosa can be put in tanks with :-

Calvus, Compressiceps, synodontis, Most plecs and loaches.

But they need a high Ph ( anything over 7.6 )

Crispy
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
That frontosa looks hybrid to me. Stripes should not get skinny near his belly unless there is a variant I am not familiar with.

morgangallow
11-12-2009, 02:25 AM
OK. so 20$ sounds like a good price then, and ph comes out of the tap at 7.6. so thats no problem... now if there were somewhere to put them...:sconfused:

Crispy
11-12-2009, 02:30 AM
OK. so 20$ sounds like a good price then, and ph comes out of the tap at 7.6. so thats no problem... now if there were somewhere to put them...:sconfused:

$20 is a bit of a high price for that fish. Has lots of growing to do and they like to be in colonies with their own kind. But if frontosas are hard to get in your area, it's a good deal.

morgangallow
11-13-2009, 05:58 AM
yes, probably, thats the norm.. i think everything is a bit overpriced at the store. 95% of our clientele are the guppy/neon/molly/goldfish types,however, and we're the only FW fish store of any merit in the area, so there'll be no frontosa anywhere else. they will get plenty of time to grow.
and no worries, there's about eight in there from what i can tell.