PDA

View Full Version : Frenzied betta

DreamEssence
11-08-2009, 07:54 AM
So I'm officially getting worried. I have a male betta inside of a 1.5g tank with a filter as well as a heater. What he's been doing lately is swimming up and down repeatedly, hitting the gravel headfirst--he looks extremely frenzied and hyper when he does this. He almost looks violent or angry--it's worrying me a lot. This has been going on for a couple of days now. I don't understand why he's doing this? It makes absolutely no sense to me. He'll be calm for a while and then there he goes again with his little up and down dance. Any explanations?

Deleted User
11-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Is there any chance something toxic has gotten into the water, or does he need a water change? Maybe the water is irritating him?

Northernguy
11-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Is there any chance something toxic has gotten into the water, or does he need a water change? Maybe the water is irritating him?
Thats what I thought!

Deleted User
11-08-2009, 07:56 PM
How's your guy doing now?

DreamEssence
11-09-2009, 12:21 AM
THanks for asking! Well, I did a 100% water change today and he isn't acting up anymore. He looks stable now! I'm so glad. I hope he's okay =/

Lolita
11-09-2009, 04:29 AM
It sounds like you probably had high levels of ammonia/nitrites in the tank. Do you have a test kit? Investing in the API Freshwater Liquid Master test kit would be a good idea so you can check on your water parameters in case something like that happens again.

dancethenparty
11-09-2009, 04:45 AM
if he does it again, it could just be his personality...i know that sounds kinda of strange. but my pleco will pretty much ram himself into the heater and filter several times and then stop. he does this all the time no matter the water conditions. and i know he's not sick.

Deleted User
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm happy he's doing better thumbs2:

dragoonwoman
11-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Is it possible that he was "attacking" his reflection? My Betta would try to swim through the side of the tank at certain times of day, and I finally realized he was seeing his reflection on the inside of the tank, because of the light coming in from the window opposite.

He would swim up and down, from water-line to substrate, fiercely pushing against the glass. Does that sound like what you saw?

Jill's right though - in a tank that small, the water can become toxic very quickly. If you aren't doing regular water changes, you need to be.