PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish in Monterey Bay, Ca

tallenskinny
11-08-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey, new here and trying to start my tank up

im looking for crawfish to catch, but i have no idea where to look?

Where i live ino there is like 2 ponds, both parks, both have ducks and water looks murky...

is that a good place to look?

or anyone have any experience living in monterey and could lead me? thanks

Cristoff
11-08-2009, 02:31 AM
I believe that Lobsternoob lives in your area. Perhaps hit him up with a PM.

I'm in the Central Valley and have found that the best place for crawfish is "tropical Haven" in Modesto - heck, they'll even catch em for you! :hmm3grin2orange:

Honestly, I would have neither the ability nor the desire to "hunt" them in the wild.

HomaridNoob6
11-08-2009, 05:07 AM
Carmel river is the only place you'll easily find crayfish close by. Well, let me rephrase, the lakes/ponds you're talking about are probably El Estero, and Robert's lake. Anything you catch out of there, well forget it, it's gonna be disease ridden. You can catch some weird stuff in El Estero, but I wouldn't bother. I don't know of the legality of taking crayfish out of carmel river, so probably don't try it. Send me a PM if you want and I'll give you a rundown of the local pet stores, you're better off buying a crayfish for a couple bucks IMO.

Oh, and tripped me out seeing a post on the forum here saying Monterey Bay, Ca. This isn't exactly a large area. But I'm glad to see at least one other local on the AC.

hybridguy
11-08-2009, 05:17 AM
welcome to the forum.:22:

tallenskinny
11-08-2009, 07:35 AM
lol thanks ya il sedn you a message

Northernguy
11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Wild crayfish can be found in a few inches of water.
Just start flipping rocks over and be quick to grab them.They are difficult but you must be quick.These guys are fast swimmers in the wild.

Amazon
11-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Come down here to Louisiana we catch them by the pound.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/thumbs/HPIM0746.JPG (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=12125)

Northernguy
11-08-2009, 04:40 PM
That looks like a tasty meal!
I have never had the opportunity to have a crayfish but it does look good!:22:

Amazon
11-08-2009, 05:20 PM
yes its great, try em if you ever come to the south.

Northernguy
11-08-2009, 05:23 PM
I had the chance once but it was right after a huge steak and lobster meal.lol
I was too full all already! I do plan on chowing down on some if I ever get down that way again.thumbs2:
Do they taste like lobster or chicken?lol I heard both!

Amazon
11-09-2009, 01:30 AM
none of those. if your in Louisiana its basicly like eating pure spices. The texture is mor like a cross between lobster or an oyster. Or if youve ever tasted shrimp its similiar to that. Just a whole lot spicier.

HomaridNoob6
11-09-2009, 01:40 AM
They're so freaking good. We don't get crawdads here often, sometimes you can get em pre cooked in the store, but they're never fresh enough, and they go all stingy on the boil. Man i could sure go for some of those bugs right now.