PDA

View Full Version : how to prepare your own gravel

sunfishman
11-07-2009, 08:14 PM
one of the most expensive part of decorating a tank is the gravel. if you use store bought, no problem if you have a large buget, but for people like me, who dont have an extra 40 dollars to put gravel in a large tank, why not get your own? once you know where you are getting your gravel, go collect the amount you will need. from here, simply rinse like store bought, but before putting in the tank, let it dry and rinse it several more times to get rid of any parasites or bacteria living in the rocks.

Jacko
11-07-2009, 08:18 PM
There are many ways that are far less expensive than store bought gravel that don't bear the risk of parasites. My favorite would be finding a bulk gravel supplier, someone who carries different types of gravels for driveways or walkways, most of them make great inexpensive (less than 5 cents a lb here) way to get a substrate for a tank.

that being said, locally acquired substrates work too... I think it's Mac that has sand that he picked up from along the bank of a lake or ocean in one of his tanks and it looks great. I'm going to grab a bucketfull of a sand/clay mix from a local stream to see how it does at growing plants...

sunfishman
11-07-2009, 08:21 PM
clay is pretty good with plants as it gives them a better anchor and holds nutrients better.

Northernguy
11-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Pea gravel would look good.
Its all round pebbles.It wouldn't be good for planting because it moves around too much.
I would at least clean it in hot water.