PDA

View Full Version : Stupid sword plants

Lady Hobbs
11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
What's the deal with swords? People claim they are so easy to grow but I have tried them 10 times and each time the leaves become transparent until I have no plant left? I give them ferts and add tabs at the roots to give them more iron but it never seems to be what they need.

I must be the only person in the world who can't grow java moss, too. And absolutely never see a new leaf on my anibus or java ferns! Everything else grows clear to the waters surface but I am a dismal failure at the three previously mentioned.......the so-called "easy" plants.

doug z
11-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I've never had any in my tank, but I hear they need LOTS of iron in the substrate and CO2 to flourish..

Water temp wouldn't be a factor, as long as you're btw. 72 and 80.. Lighting should be fairly bright, though... 2 wpg at least..

Sorry to hear about your blood parrot, btw.... :(

Sarkazmo
11-07-2009, 09:19 PM
What kinda lights and how much wattage and how long are they on per day... and are they on a timer?

Sark

smaug
11-07-2009, 10:04 PM
PH and water hardness plays a factor in healthy swordsthe.lower the both of them the better they will take up nutrients.

Rue
11-07-2009, 10:39 PM
I can't be helpful...mine grow and I don't do anything...:sconfused:

Cristoff
11-07-2009, 10:46 PM
I can't be helpful...mine grow and I don't do anything...:sconfused:

LOL, I'm pretty sure that's NOT what she needed to hear! :hmm3grin2orange:

Silk all the way! I haven't had one silk plant die on me yet.thumbs2:

rich311k
11-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Interesting, I wish I had a good idea as to why. Some things just will not grow for some people. I can never keep pennywort alive.

DrNic
11-08-2009, 01:04 AM
I totally feel your pain for the swords. I can never get them to grow either. I've tried starting with baby plants and they end up dead. I try LARGE adult plants, and the leaves fall off and they die. I don't know what it is.

Lady Hobbs
11-08-2009, 02:51 AM
PH and water hardness plays a factor in healthy swordsthe.lower the both of them the better they will take up nutrients.

Since I have high pH and very hard water, I'm sure this could be the reason then.

smaug
11-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Since I have high pH and very hard water, I'm sure this could be the reason then.
You got it sister.Most plants dont do well with that condition,although java ferns should do ok.

Mith
11-16-2009, 05:16 AM
I also have what I believe is/was a sword plant (long skinny leaves right?). Anyway, my leaves also deteriorated. I finally got so pissed I pulled it out of my tank and threw it away.

I was thinking that my lighting was the culprit since I adds tabs to the sand right next to the plant's roots! Do you have enough lighting?

Also, I must have missed something about your parrot fish, I assume it was bad. Sorrey to hear this!