PDA

View Full Version : Warning About Dividers (no, not jumping across...)

Deleted User
11-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Just a heads up to maybe save a fish or two...

I recently divided some 10g tanks and moved our bettas into them, vs. the tanks they had been in (ranged from 2.5g mini bows - 12g Eclipse tanks that I hated). Easier to maintain is my thinking.

However, after I split the second one yesterday, next thing I knew, Ruffles was in with Nathan (our first fish and "special"). Got Ruffles right out and then next thing I knew, Ruffles was in again with Nathan so I watched to see how it was happening.

He was squeezing in between the rim of the tank divider and the aquarium glass!!! That one panel, I had not pushed down far enough (hadn't realized) and it was pushed a little by the rim of the tank. Leaving just enough room for him to try and commit homicide upon Nathan!

Just for anyone dividing betta tanks -- watch out for my mistake. To look at the tank from in front, I had no idea there was any space between the rim of the divider and the glass.

They're fine now and cannot get in together. I actually LOVE the way the tanks turned out and will for sure always keep them stocked with beautiful bettas... However, I confess I did get up 4-5 times last night to come out to the living room and confirm they were not in the same dividers with each other!

Rue
11-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the heads up...

...got pics? :hmm3grin2orange:

Northernguy
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Dividers can be a death trap too!
I hope you have it figured out now!
I agree with Rue.Need pics!lol

Deleted User
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
I'll do pics or a video later today. It's nothing jaw dropping, just divided 10g's, but I'm loving them for my betta collection over what I previously had.

My camera is a nice one, but man it cannot get a decent fish picture. So, I may do video instead. It does a good job with fish video...

DrNic
11-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Great tip! Dividers can be handy to have around but definitely troublesome when something like this happens.

Deleted User
11-07-2009, 03:33 PM
PS I do think when the existing bettas die -- I'm afraid Nathan may be old... HUGE and a Walmart fish -- no telling how long he was living in Walmart until H bought him to cheer me up! -- Anyway, as they pass away, I plan to buy female bettas to go into the center "slot" of each tank. That may give us a safety net for if they get in together when we're not here to see what craziness they're up to.

Deleted User
11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Great tip! Dividers can be handy to have around but definitely troublesome when something like this happens.
Thanks!

I ordered a divider that would fit a 20g tank, but really just to use as we need to move fish into bigger tanks soon. The cichlids and zebra danios are just like slips of lightening and so hard to catch. I was thinking the bigger divider will be good to help catch them once we lower the water levels.

Ryuu
11-07-2009, 04:47 PM
Oh wow. Sneaky ones eh? I've never divided a tank so I wouldn't know. I have heard that they find there ways though haha. Poor Nathan.

MrJim
11-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Do you have to have filters/heaters on each side with divided tanks?

Deleted User
11-07-2009, 08:33 PM
Do you have to have filters/heaters on each side with divided tanks?
No, you don't need to do that with these kinds. It's made like a screen, with holes all up and down it, so that the water flows through easily http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/smileys-91853/aiw/yes.gif

MrJim
11-08-2009, 12:55 AM
Do the bettas see each other through the divide? Do they get angry seeing each other?

Deleted User
11-08-2009, 01:01 AM
They can see each other and sometimes display to each other, but spend most of the time just being lazy and not paying attention to each other. I'm thinking it maybe adds to the quality of their life to have some excitement, but had worried they'd be constantly trying to fight. They don't pay attention to each other most of the time.

MrJim
11-08-2009, 04:07 AM
They can see each other and sometimes display to each other, but spend most of the time just being lazy and not paying attention to each other. I'm thinking it maybe adds to the quality of their life to have some excitement, but had worried they'd be constantly trying to fight. They don't pay attention to each other most of the time.

Thanks Jill, I've often wondered about bettas, they don't seem very interesting when ya see them in the little margarine tubs at the LFS, but I figure they must be since they're so popular.

Deleted User
11-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Once you have them in a good situation, where they have heat, filter and more room, they really liven up and are nice to watch (and you will have a hard time finding a more ornamental fish). We have had them live very well in community tanks with tropical fish such as platies, corys, neons, glowlights... Four of ours in the pictures and videos I posted had been living in tanks with platies and corys. They cannot be together (unless using dividers like I am), and are probably best not with fancy guppies (I hear they may confuse them for a rival) or tiger barbs and other fish known to be fin nippers.