PDA

View Full Version : Record Alligator Gar

clayton
11-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Bowfishing is huge here, and I got this email from a friend.

Below is a 8'2" 244.5lbs Sam Rayburn Record Alligator gar.
http://www.aimlowproductions.com/images/photo_gallery/TX05/Aim_Low_Gator_resized.sized.jpg

Here is a link to the Aim-Low bowfishing photos (http://www.aimlowproductions.com/photo_gallery_bowfishing.shtml).

I know harvesting these beautiful fish may be controversial, but I thought the sheer size of this one was worth seeing. Please forgive if it offends.

Northernguy
11-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Its a chance of a lifetime catch!
It was also a great breeder fish!
Catching those Monster fish must be a huge rush but bow fishing kind of eliminates the catch and release method.
Not a fish I would like to eat.The smaller ones are for that.

clayton
11-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Yeah, no kidding. Can you imagine the 6ft fillets?

Red
11-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Eh, to bad he had to kill it. Not my cup of tea, most of meat will go to waste, a fish like that can produce up to 400 eggs.

tori.lock
11-06-2009, 04:56 PM
Beautiful animal dead, so I can't imagine what it would have looked like alive.

clayton
11-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I agree, it seems to be such a waste for only a few minutes of fun. I would have loved to see this fish in a huge public aquarium... perhaps to view from the top and bottom.

bigbad-ratman
11-06-2009, 05:21 PM
i watched a show awhile back that featured abit about gar, and the "experts" said that we would never see any truely monsterous fish anymore because fo the prsessure on them. so always believe the experts people!!!

Wiggs
11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
i watched a show awhile back that featured abit about gar, and the "experts" said that we would never see any truely monsterous fish anymore because fo the prsessure on them. so always believe the experts people!!!

They never said "never" they said we wouldnt see as many.

HomaridNoob6
11-07-2009, 12:24 AM
wow, that is a really fricking impressive fish. It is a shame that there's no way of releasing it at that point, but in their position I can't imagine passing up a catch like that either. A lot of times seeing a monster fish I think how cool it would be to see it in its natural habitat, that thing, no way. At least I'd have a built in defense mechanism to get away, I'd shoot out an ink cloud like a squid, except mine would be brown. Yeah I'd definitely mess my pants If I saw that sucker swimming near me.

Demjor19
11-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I love seeing posts of people killing fish on fishkeeping forums...seems kind of backwards. That's probably a 25+ year old fish going to waste!

BTW...That's not even the record. There have actually been larger ones caught on rod and reel (7'-9" and 279 lbs). Largest bow kill was (8'-0" and 290 lbs). The largest ever officially recorded by other means was (8'-5" and 356 lbs). This is all per the most recent data I have read...the bow kill record may have actually passed the 300 lb mark...I haven't verified that yet though.

Lady Hobbs
11-09-2009, 01:16 PM
Imagine how many fish each day this guy ate? Hunting and fishing is here to stay and is a great sport. I see it as no different than hunting deer, ducks or turkeys.

Crispy
11-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Imagine how many fish each day this guy ate? Hunting and fishing is here to stay and is a great sport. I see it as no different than hunting deer, ducks or turkeys.

Agreed. As sad as it may be to see such an awesome fish killed, that gar has killed tons of fish in his days. I believe they are considered a 'nuisance fish' because of their voracious appetites (as are muskie here). Wish I coulda fought that fish! :)

Demjor19
11-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I am an avid hunter/fisherman myself...I actually eat my kills though. I guess I was raised to appreciate my surroundings. That gar is only doing what its instincts tell it to do (they do need to eat). Then jim bob and his big bad bow came strolling in...

Crispy
11-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Fishing with a crossbow eliminates the whole rush of fighting a big fish. :(

Poor gar.

Northernguy
11-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Fishing with a crossbow eliminates the whole rush of fighting a big fish. :(

Poor gar.
I do agree with that Crispy.
It must have been like reeling in a huge peice of driftwood off the bottom.
No fight just dead weight.

Red
11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Agreed. As sad as it may be to see such an awesome fish killed, that gar has killed tons of fish in his days. I believe they are considered a 'nuisance fish' because of their voracious appetites (as are muskie here). Wish I coulda fought that fish! :)

No fish should be considered a nuisance when it is natural to the habitat. Locals use to come up with that excuse because they were afraid of the gar.

clayton
11-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I love seeing posts of people killing fish on fishkeeping forums...seems kind of backwards. That's probably a 25+ year old fish going to waste!

BTW...That's not even the record. There have actually been larger ones caught on rod and reel (7'-9" and 279 lbs). Largest bow kill was (8'-0" and 290 lbs). The largest ever officially recorded by other means was (8'-5" and 356 lbs). This is all per the most recent data I have read...the bow kill record may have actually passed the 300 lb mark...I haven't verified that yet though.

Didnt say it was a world record...
"Below is a 8'2" 244.5lbs Sam Rayburn Record Alligator gar."

Sam Rayburn is a lake in TX. The measurements are currently waiting to be verified, then it will documented as the Largest Gar taken by bow on Sam Rayburn Lake.

Just to clarify...

Northernguy
11-09-2009, 02:41 PM
They are truely incredible fish!
You don't get to see too many massive FW fish these days,alive.
Having a fish of that magnitude in a public aquarium would be fascinating.
I can see them being feared by locals.
I would like to know what they do with a large fish like that.It would not be a very tastey fish to eat.
The body armor would probably have a few uses for locals.I wonder what they make from a skin like that besides arrow heads.

Demjor19
11-09-2009, 02:48 PM
No fish should be considered a nuisance when it is natural to the habitat. Locals use to come up with that excuse because they were afraid of the gar.

Amen! Gar have been in North America longer than almost any other animal and they are considered the nuisance? That's funny...

Claton - A "record" fish from only a single body of water doesn't constitute much of a record to me. That's like taking 3rd place out of 3 people. Sure...you got 3rd place...

Red
11-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Agreed, I caught a record bluegill out of my pond in the backyard, a whopping 3".

Aeonflame
11-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Now correct me if im mistaken, but arent those fish native to those waters? Living and hunting the way they they have for thousands of years? Then how can they be a nuisance?

Anyway, great job you guys, after you're done patting each other on the back over how brave and sportsmanlike it was of you to shoot a fish that just sits there on the surface... Maybe you should think about the time it took to grow that large, the sheer overwhelming obstacles it had to surmount. Not only that, but it died for no purpose other than a few moments of your pleasure.

clayton
11-09-2009, 04:17 PM
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/action/waterecords.php?WB_code=0640

I was simply passing on the email as worded. However if you care to look at the link above you will see that the records for this lake are much larger than what you can catch in your back yard... not world records but a respectable showing.

Demjor19
11-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Now correct me if im mistaken, but arent those fish native to those waters? Living and hunting the way they they have for thousands of years? Then how can they be a nuisance?

Anyway, great job you guys, after you're done patting each other on the back over how brave and sportsmanlike it was of you to shoot a fish that just sits there on the surface... Maybe you should think about the time it took to grow that large, the sheer overwhelming obstacles it had to surmount. Not only that, but it died for no purpose other than a few moments of your pleasure.

They've been living here as a native fish species for 50+ million years.

I also attached a somewhat brief, but interesting read. The last paragraph is where my interest was aimed.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/Descript/AlligatorGar/AlligatorGar.html

Aeonflame
11-09-2009, 05:19 PM
lol, as an evolutionist I'm fully aware of the biological/geographical timeline involved. I was using that just as a figure of speech.

Great read btw.. And as for the last paragraph, It makes you wonder exactly where people's priorities are. In no way should this be considered responsible and sportsmanlike fishing. What would it benefit anyone to lose such a magnificent animal?

Northernguy
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
That was a great read!
Thanks for posting it.