PDA

View Full Version : Is My Beta Is Sick Or It Is Normal

milindsaraswala
11-05-2009, 05:34 PM
After Fish less cycle in 21 days of my 8 gallon tank and I brought 3 gold barb and 2 Red Eye tetra. And I ask in this forum how it is ?? People told me that both are not good for 8 gallon tank. So i go to my LFS change them with beta fish. Then after putting him in my tank I check my water parameter it was 0 ammonia and 10 nitrite. So I change water 50 - 70 % and add some prime water. Then today afternoon when I check parameter it is okay 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite.

But beta fish behavior is something wired he is swimming good some and some time go bottom of the tank seat for some seconds and then again start swimming . and there is one corner where is my airstone and water heater every time it goes there and seat for a while.

Sometime I think may be here in kuwait temperature is getting cool and so water is also cold may be the reason. Some body advice me how much temprature should put.

robflanker
11-05-2009, 05:39 PM
You should get a test kit for nitrates as well

I would say mid-70s is fine for a betta

SkyBaby
I think he just needs to settle in. All my bettas reacted like that when I first put them in their tanks at home. I wouldn't worry, I'm sure he's fine. :)

rich311k
Temperature should be 78-80F. My bettas rest on the bottom often, they also rest on the wood and in the plants. It is perfectly normal as far as I know. They have to go to the top often as they breathe atmospheric air.

Lolita
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Betta's often rest. It's completely normal. You'll see him resting on the gravel, or on any decorations, I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks like he is actually struggling to move.

tetra girl
11-06-2009, 03:24 AM
I'd say he is just getting used to the bigger tank. He will swim more as he gets stronger. Also watch in the first few weeks or so that he doesn't get sucked to the filter intake. I had one that was trying to swim by it and it "grabbed" him. I pulled up the intake tube and cut off the flow and he swam off and he was fine. He stayed away from it for awhile. He was fine when he got stronger and bigger.

VoidParadigm
11-06-2009, 03:42 AM
He's likely getting used to the tank. What's your temperature at now?
Besides that, many bettas often take "naps." It'll look just like he's sitting on the gravel or a decoration, and can be a little confusing the first time you see it. For example, I thought my Neon Tetras were dying the first time I saw them sleeping. It's pretty normal.