PDA

View Full Version : Coldwater tank for Trout?

Leftyroc
04-11-2007, 06:25 PM
My cousin came over the other day and saw my new 150gal tank and has decided he wants to do a tank also now but wants to stock it with trout? We are avid fisherman(Catch and Release) and he wants to put a trout in the tank because at the sportsman show the Trout Unlimited Guys had real nice fish in a 75 gal. Anybody ever try this?

hungryhound
04-11-2007, 07:02 PM
My cousin came over the other day and saw my new 150gal tank and has decided he wants to do a tank also now but wants to stock it with trout? We are avid fisherman(Catch and Release) and he wants to put a trout in the tank because at the sportsman show the Trout Unlimited Guys had real nice fish in a 75 gal. Anybody ever try this?

It sounds interesting but I am not sure that it would work. I would think that trout would be similar to koi and only be a pond fish due to their size.

I have no experience here. But you said that you saw this at a sportsman show. Am I right to assume that this was a limited time event and that the tank in question (75 gallon with a trout) was only set up for a short time. It might be that the fish was actually kept and raised in a larger tank/pond and placed in the tank for the show.

Not to put an damper on your cousins plan, but a 75 or 150 gallon aquarium might not be a long term solution for trout.

It might help to know exactly what species of trout we are talking about, as that would be helpful in determining the size of the adult fish.

Not trying to put a damper on the idea, but it seems very unlikely to me that a trout could be raised its whole life in that aquarium.

sergo
04-11-2007, 07:04 PM
aren't they cold water fish? and i wouldn't think you could get more than one or two in a 150gal and i doubt they would be very happy. it does sound interesting however.

hungryhound
04-11-2007, 07:19 PM
The other question is what kind of trout are we talking about. I would have no clue how you would raise a rainbow trout as they spawn in rivers and then live their adult lives in the ocean.

Chrona
04-11-2007, 07:20 PM
You would need a pond for trout. They get way too big for a home aquarium (unless it's a custom made XXXX gallon)

Leftyroc
04-11-2007, 08:36 PM
The trout could get very big but here in NJ we have Rainbows, Browns, and Brook Trout but they normally don't get very large here in the wonderful garden state unless they are in a lake. I would think that the fish will only grow as large as their environment would allow them, it might be an interesting expeirement. Thanks for the insight as I will relay it on.

Drumachine09
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Trout die off when the weather gets warm here in kansas. You need to have a chiller on the tank, and keep it about 50 degrees. You could do a couple small brookies, but you also need a constant current, like a stream.