PDA

View Full Version : Would a 5.5 gal, no heater, no filter work?

jebbewocky
11-03-2009, 10:30 PM
I work in an office, and we can have Betta fish. The office is climate controlled.

VoidParadigm
11-03-2009, 10:33 PM
No heater, no filter? Then no.

Cristoff
11-03-2009, 10:34 PM
You may get away with no heater, but I would never recommend no filter on ANY fish tank.

jebbewocky
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Would a 1 (maybe 1.5 or 2) with just a filter work? My fiance and I are looking at having one at our apartment later.

robflanker
11-03-2009, 10:41 PM
Nay to both

jebbewocky
11-03-2009, 10:43 PM
What about a 1-2 gal with both filter and heater?

robflanker
11-03-2009, 10:45 PM
2.5 minimum with a heater and filter

jebbewocky
11-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Ok.
Maybe some fiddler crabs or something.

It might be a 2.5. Honestly, I have no idea, I'd have to see it. It doesn't help that I'm used to metric.
:22:

robflanker
11-03-2009, 11:14 PM
fiddler crabs still need filtration/heating i think

korith
11-04-2009, 04:47 AM
For small tanks of that size you can get small heater made by hydor ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3184687&lmdn=Fish ) Doesn't take up much space. For a filter a small filter hooked up to an air pump would do the job.

Wouldn't try it w/o the filter or heater. Some offices do turn down the heat/ac at night, to save $.

iZinedane
11-04-2009, 05:41 AM
seriously you guys :hmm3grin2orange: you two are like bargaining XD
anyway..why not just get a 5.5 with a filter? it wouldnt hurt and the fish would be happier.

jebbewocky
11-04-2009, 05:46 PM
It's not haggling, I'm just trying to figure out if the stuff we already have will work. I'm more than willing to buy additional supplies if necessary.

Anyway, if they definently need a filter and a heater I can't have one at work, but that's OK. The 5.5 gal is currently occupied by a tarantula, but that will be evacuated once I get a better tank for that. The other one is free right now, and has a filter, but not a heater. We can figure it out later.
Thanks!

Slow Cheetah
11-05-2009, 12:42 AM
a sponge filter or external filter really shouldnt make any noise at your work if thats what you are worried about.

and I seriously say no to the small tank, though to give you a rough comparison i have a tank that is roughly 7x12x12 inches and its over 3 gallon.

jebbewocky
11-05-2009, 02:18 AM
It's not the noise, we just aren't permitted to use the plugs--I guess they worry about the electric bill or somesuch.

Slow Cheetah
11-05-2009, 04:52 AM
although many here would condemn this, you can have 1 male betta in a fairly large bowl, without heating or filter if the room temperature is suitable enough and you are vigilant to change the water every few days.
of course with water conditioner, chlorine remover etc.

jebbewocky
11-05-2009, 05:04 AM
I don't know if I'd be able to be vigilant enough--our department was downsized recently (seasonally, nothing to worry about)--so keeping up on water changes that frequently probably wouldn't be realistic. That's just life--I'll have to settle for a plant, lol.

brianyu
11-05-2009, 05:14 AM
:hmm3grin2orange: water plant ? a amazon sword plant in a bow ... that will be cooler then a normal plant ...:19:

HomaridNoob6
11-05-2009, 06:18 AM
although many here would condemn this, you can have 1 male betta in a fairly large bowl, without heating or filter if the room temperature is suitable enough and you are vigilant to change the water every few days.

You COULD do this, and in this situation I would do small WC's basically every day, but you have already responded about that, so it sounds like a no go. Brianyu has a good idea, just a nice water plant, or maybe a few, I find some moss and a piece of bamboo that comes out the top of the bowl is a big winner with many of my customers that don't want to do WC's and maintain fish as they need to.

robflanker
11-05-2009, 01:53 PM

You are right, we are going to condemn you. You are knowingly keeping a fish in an inappropriate setting. You will get ripped, and deserve it - you get no pity from me on it.
Its one thing if one didn't know, its another that you know and still do it

Girl Got Mojo
11-05-2009, 01:56 PM
Waterchanges shouldn't be a hard thing to do. keep a bucket of dechlorinated
water at home. Fill a plastic water bottle every mornin, take the full bottle and a
same size empty bottle. Fill empty bottle with tank water and pour in fresh
water.

Typing that out maybe it does seem a little excessive lol and it is really not the
best environment. I do like the aquatic plant idea. thumbs2:

Rue
11-05-2009, 03:09 PM
You could get away with no heater if the office is warm enough...but you need the filter...can't get around that...

Lab_Rat
11-05-2009, 03:14 PM
I don't know if I'd be able to be vigilant enough--our department was downsized recently (seasonally, nothing to worry about)--so keeping up on water changes that frequently probably wouldn't be realistic. That's just life--I'll have to settle for a plant, lol.

That's a good idea for now. When you can properly house a betta, get one then.