PDA

View Full Version : Rock gathering

Tetris
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
So I managed to gather about 200lbs of rock from work over the past couple months. Plenty of shapes, sizes, and colours to choose from...

Is there any chance that these rocks may contain anything that would be bad to introduce into my aquarium?

I'll be testing the rocks to make sure they don't alter PH of course, and I'll boil them to make sure they're clean and sterile before putting them in, but I have no idea what sort of stones they are, or what they might contain, and whether any of it may be harmful to my fish/plants.

Someone at work mentioned that some of them look like they have a bit of copper in them. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but it got me thinking a bit...

VoidParadigm
11-03-2009, 02:58 PM
If a stone bubbles when acid is put on it (vinegar works for a lot of common stones) it's not safe to put in.

As for copper? I don't think it'd be that horrible, if it wasn't much. Some fish foods even have copper in them. It kills pests, mainly invertebrates, so be careful if you have any shrimp or pet snails in your tanks.

Northernguy
11-03-2009, 03:01 PM
yes all metals come from the ground.They are inside rock and must be refined.
I don't use any rocks with signs of rust!
The vinager test is good enough usually.
Try and avoid getting the rocks are from any areas where they mine metals.

I have to be careful here because it used to be the Uranium Capitol of the world!lol

VoidParadigm
11-03-2009, 03:02 PM
What, NG, you don't want awesome green glowing fish who sprout legs then save the world?! Selfish. If that meteor hits, I'm so blaming you. =P

Northernguy
11-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I have seen enough of that in Lake Ontario!:hmm3grin2orange:

Another reason I moved back up North!:19:

Tetris
11-03-2009, 03:37 PM
I actually have no idea where these stones came from... They just fell out of a wall we were underpinning.

Padams
11-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Watch boiling them unless you can afford a mess. Think frozen turkey in a pot of boiling oil!

You can rinse them in boiling water just use the dip-n-dunk method.

ps watch out for SPLASHES!!!!!!!

Northernguy
11-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Pics may help.

Tetris
11-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I'll get pics ASAP, but I'm sort of waiting for my boss to call me and tell me to leave for work, and I have many appointments today, so I'll try to post them sometime tonight.