PDA

View Full Version : Java moss on rocks

rookie
11-03-2009, 05:33 AM
I have my java moss tied to my rocks but I want it to cover the rocks and it seems to be growing up not out. Is there a way I can get it to spead out?

Also how long does it take to attach I am a little weary to cut away the fishing string

rich311k
11-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Plants grow toward the light. hard to get them to grow down. Eventually it will be come a mass completely obscuring the rock. It will take a month or so to attach. By the time you can't see the fishing line anymore you can be pretty sure it is attached. Cotton thread is a great choice for tying the stuff down, it will gradually rot and disappear on its own.

rookie
11-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Sounds good rich I guess I will keep folding it down and re tieing it down and definatly use the cotton thread thanks rich

EddyC
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Rich311k has given good advice as usual. Just one question though: are the rocks smooth? I've had a very hard time getting my java moss to attach to smooth surfaces like the "river rocks" I have scattered around the bottom of the tank. The regular rocks I've taken from the ground around my house work better for this purpose because they're more porous, which gives the moss more attachment points. In order to attach the moss to smooth surfaces I've had to take the surface out of the tank and dry it and the moss off thoroughly before adding a small dab of super glue to secure the moss down. Works like a charm, but seems less natural than just letting the moss attach itself.

rookie
11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
The rocks are not smooth they are kinda rough so i don't think that would be a problem for me but thank u for the heads up. I think when it grows out a little more and I take it out to tie the new growth down I will check to see how it's doing attaching itself

Denis Goulding
11-13-2009, 03:56 PM
My Java Moss died or just about did...How can i get it back to life.. Ph 7,, gh 120 temp 78

Any ideas on how to get it back to life..Thanks

rookie
11-13-2009, 06:30 PM
dennis it could be a variation of things. i have relized that having plants is a complicated process to find a balance but once you have found that balance you are good to go. i would start a new post under the plant section, but i would include alot more info such as tank size, stocking, what you have for lighting, if you have any other plants if you use ferts ect. good luck to you and welcome to AC.

Sarkazmo
11-13-2009, 07:49 PM
I've had Java Moss attach to branches of Manzanita so strongly, in two weeks, that you'd have to rip it off or use a knife to scrape it from the wood. The surface must be porous and the moss must be held to the surface somewhat tightly.

If you want that moss to cover the rock, do this:

Go to Wal-Mart and get a nylon bath scrubby (green if you can). They look like poof balls. It's actually just nylon mesh that's zip tied at the center. $1

Snip the zip tie at the center and you've got a considerable amount of nylon mesh.

Pull the Java Moss apart and spread it evenly over the surface you want to attach it to.

Cover Moss and object with the mesh and tie off fairly tightly on the back of the object (a small zip tie will fit the role.) You don't want the mesh cutting into the moss, but tight.

Sit the object where it'll get a lot of light

In one month you should have a moss covered rock, firmly attached, and you can cut off the mesh.

Sark

Sarkazmo
11-13-2009, 08:15 PM
My Java Moss died or just about did...How can i get it back to life.. Ph 7,, gh 120 temp 78

Any ideas on how to get it back to life..Thanks

Denis, Java Moss is very hardy and easy to grow. Java Moss feeds from the water column. If your Nitrates are in the 5-10ppm range it'll be safe for the fish and provide plenty of nutrients to the moss. If you do large (50% +) partial water changes often with a light bio load it could be that the moss isn't getting enough nutrients. It is a 'low' light plant but you need the correct spectrum of light. 6500k is near perfect for this moss. Most of my tanks are in the med to med high range in lighting. I use GE 6500k 'Daylight' CFL lights purchased in two packs from Wal-Mart for anywhere from $8 - $15 depending on wattage. Check out some of my pic and tank threads for an example of how well Java does in my tanks.

Good luck!

Sark

rookie
11-13-2009, 08:17 PM
great idea sark. i am probably going to take the rock out this weekend and check to see if it attached its been tied to the rock for about a month. but i noticed it is kinda growing like a bush. i would like it to spread out faster than bush up but if it is attached this weekend i was going to let the moss hang and then retie it to try to make it spread. unless someone else has a better idea to cover the rocks faster.

Denis Goulding
11-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks Guys i appreciate all ur help and the welcome, i have been in and out of here for a few years, but now back for good as the girlfriend is really keen on the fish. Watch out world,,lol

Yes java moss,, cringe, i dont know, the christmas moss is doing really wel, i have ordered new moss and will set up as u all have described, some brilliant ideas and i will start a new thread when i get pics etc..

But i really must say thanks a million for the quick response..
Regards,
Denis,,,

Home address Wicklow, Ireland...p.s. thats why i cant go to wall mart,, have to order from England

Denis Goulding
12-27-2009, 02:44 AM
thanks for the advice guys. will let u know gow i get on

Denis Goulding
01-03-2010, 01:50 PM
still brown and i added some more on a different piece of bog wood just to see if that will take off. Will keep u updated.
Regards,
Denis

abraham3660
07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
still brown and i added some more on a different piece of bog wood just to see if that will take off. Will keep u updated.
Regards,
Denis
Hey, i just ordered some christmas moss and it should be arriving today. Any advice on it, and what would be the best way to get it to grow on a rock?

SunSchein89
07-22-2010, 06:07 PM
Hey, i just ordered some christmas moss and it should be arriving today. Any advice on it, and what would be the best way to get it to grow on a rock?

It's best to start your own thread and ask questions rather than bringing up old ones, you'll get more answers this way.

The best way to get it to grow on to a rock is either tie it down, use the nylon mesh method as described earlier in this thread, or if there's not a lot of flow in that area, you can try to just push it up against or put a little underneath the rock and it should start to grow around it on its own, but sometimes fish will knock it loose or it can fly away during water changes. It has worked for me in the past, though.