PDA

View Full Version : Size of this bottle enough?

B.karthik
11-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Hi guys i am a newbie and i am having 3 beeta fish in seperate bottles.i am having doubt whether the size of this bottles are enough (or)not?i have posted the images below.please tell me what size should be used for a male beeta and also please post the image of that tank you recommend please...
Thanks

jaysee
11-02-2009, 06:09 AM
A bottle or jar is only good for short term housing, and that's a stretch of the word "good".

A filtration system and heater are needed for a betta to live long term, not to mention at least 2.5 - 5 gallons of water.

Lab_Rat
11-02-2009, 06:16 AM
The bottle is definitely not appropriate housing for any fish. A 5g tank would be much more appropriate for one. Also, contrary to popular belief, bettas do need filtration too.

Since you have 3 bettas a good way to appropriately house them would be to get a 10g aquarium with a filter and a heater. You can get two dividers to have 3 separate areas, one for each betta.

bluebluecow
11-02-2009, 06:49 AM
Please please , go out and buy either 1 10g or even better a 20g and divide in 3, or 2 10s and divide one in 2

Honestly you will see nothing of these fish unless they are in a space large enough to swim, then they really come into there own wonderfull playfull charecters. My male bettas are in 2 tanks,I have 3 males and 3 females, 2 males are in my 24g tank, 1 has a week in a breeder int tank tank, (this has holes in it so it has the filtration from the main tank, ) the other goes in the community and once a week we swap them over. My other betta is in a 17G tank, with neons, and he is so happy he is like a dog he plays with me, lets me stroke him he craves attention.

Liz

Deleted User
11-02-2009, 09:20 AM
No, that isn't good except maybe to hold them while you clean / maintain their usual tank.

We have 6 bettas. Two of them are in separate 2.5g "mini bow" aquariums w/ filters and heaters. That's on the small side, but the fish swim and are doing very well in them. Then we have single bettas in 6g and 12g tanks, and 2 bettas in 10g community tanks. All work fine.

We're getting ready, though, to "consolidate" and move to having only bettas in the 10g's (divided, so 2 in each) and moving the ones in the 2.5g tanks to the 12g and 6g ones. Either that or maybe split the 10g's 3 ways each and have all 6 in the 1 10g's.

For bettas, you really should have at least 2.5g of water, a filter and a heater. That is the minimum imo.

Deleted User
11-02-2009, 10:04 AM
PS, typo... I meant having all 6 in 2 10gs... Essentially two of what Labby has recommended you consider.

Neon
11-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Please please , go out and buy either 1 10g or even better a 20g and divide in 3, or 2 10s and divide one in 2

Honestly you will see nothing of these fish unless they are in a space large enough to swim, then they really come into there own wonderfull playfull charecters. My male bettas are in 2 tanks,I have 3 males and 3 females, 2 males are in my 24g tank, 1 has a week in a breeder int tank tank, (this has holes in it so it has the filtration from the main tank, ) the other goes in the community and once a week we swap them over. My other betta is in a 17G tank, with neons, and he is so happy he is like a dog he plays with me, lets me stroke him he craves attention.

Liz

I agree, I had one and it was lovely and with such a personality ,but you can only see it in an appropriate spacious tank.

VoidParadigm
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Agree with the above.

I'm in the process of setting up this tank http://www.hawkeyeaquarium.com/prod_details.php?cat=20&p=119 for one betta as we speak.

Also, try not to keep those jars too close together. It will make them stressed to see each other so much.

HorrorShowRot
11-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Bad idea..... The betta will die in a few months and shall be stunted. The only reason bettas are believed to be able to live in a small area is because where they are from the rise patties flood and they become stranded for a few days few weeks. But it not an over extended amount of time. Plus his colours will be dull. You will have amonia spikes coming at you night and day. There is no way it will work. I have a single betta in a 8g tank and it is planted he loves it. He is active swims around sleeps on the plants. It is not natural for them to be in such a small confined space for an over abundance of time. Plus a larger tank will be less maintanance when it is fully cycled. And you wont have to do a water change every 12 hours. Plus in the jar you will most likely have no helpfull bacteria because the water will be changed so frequently

Mr.Bluegill
11-02-2009, 09:44 PM
A bottle or jar is only good for short term housing, and that's a stretch of the word "good".

A filtration system and heater are needed for a betta to live long term, not to mention at least 2.5 - 5 gallons of water.
not true my betta "Elvis" R.I.P lived in a gallon fish bowl for 5 years

Girl Got Mojo
11-02-2009, 09:59 PM

That is an exception. It is true, keeping any fish in supbar conditions leaves
them susceptable to diseases and parasites and will not provide them with a
quality life. Your Elvis was an exception.

Northernguy
11-02-2009, 10:08 PM
Just because they are kept in cups at the store does not mean that they like it.Put them in a proper tank and let it be a real fish!
That is just my opinion!I do feel those jars are way to small!

Nice bettas though!

Lab_Rat
11-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Doesn't mean it was good or appropriate living conditions for him, just means he was one hardy fish. Either that, or your parents may have pulled the old switcheroo on you without you realizing it.

Deleted User
11-02-2009, 11:14 PM
I just wanted to chime in again and add that YOU will enjoy the bettas SO much more if you put them in appropriate tanks or Labby's idea of splitting a 10g aquarium 3 ways. You can get a kit including filter & heater for about $65 (Petco -- I think Walmart's kit lacks a heater...). Gravel less than $5, a silk plant for each section, and two dividers ($6/each). Then you will not have to change the water as often (just weekly partial changes), the water will look clear, you can enjoy watching the fish swim and enjoy their areas... It would be a win-win for everyone involved.

Really, pet product manufactures and pet stores are to blame for this poster thinking the bottles are okay. We've all seen those "Goldfish Starter Kits" that are nothing more than, what, a 4g plastic tank with a purple lid. Or 1/2 qt betta habitats. Not to mention the fish pictured on the packaging for smaller tanks...

Kudos for the OP for asking if the bottles were okay thumbs2:

Garrett
11-03-2009, 05:42 AM
Take a look on Craigslist if you want, even, you can find tanks cheap, sometimes even with the equipment needed. I can't stress enough to people getting into the hobby how much that site is a godsend, it's amazing.

jaysee
11-03-2009, 02:51 PM

There are exceptions to every rule. There are fish that live for a long time without water changes too....