PDA

View Full Version : Divided Tanks -- Which Would A Betta Prefer?

Deleted User
10-31-2009, 10:27 AM
What do you all think a betta would prefer?

We are "consolidating" our existing tanks into bigger, but fewer tanks and I'm planning to take our bettas out of the 6g - 12g community tanks and put them into divided tanks, but wonder what you think they'd prefer.

Thanks!

Northernguy
10-31-2009, 01:42 PM
lol I think they would prefer a ten gallon each!:14:

That may just be me!:22:

bigbad-ratman
10-31-2009, 01:55 PM
i just had to section off my betta as he was becoming a butt head. i think they would prefer the 20 gal split three. i base that off of pure mathmatics as that gives them the most gallons per betta.

sheamurai
10-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I was thinking that the 20gal split only gives them an 8x12 footprint to swim in. Just a personal thing of mine, I don't like to see a fish that can't even swim a foot before hitting a wall...8" of swimming room doesn't seem like a lot...you might think about upgrading to a 3ft long tank for a 3 way split? Don't mind me while I spend your money :)

Deleted User
10-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the input, folks!

I already had a 75g stand we picked up awhile ago, and just bought a 75g aquarium, hood, lights, 2x filters, heater AND two 55g wooden stands, AND 2 55g aquarium kits... But these are for other fish, not the bettas. We have to take down some book cases and rearrange things, have to put the two 55g stands together when the arrive, etc., but we've got some weekend projects when it comes to fish for sure with all this stuff here or ordered.

So, I don't think the bettas will be getting a 3' tank... trying to move away from so many tanks, but I know if I had another 3' one (have a 38g already, but it's for different fish), I would want to put something other than bettas in it.

The footprint thing is how I was thinking, though, too. So, I ordered 2x 10g dividers and each guy will get 1/2 a 10g... Hopefully they will be happy with those accomodations :1luvu:

iZinedane
10-31-2009, 03:13 PM
for me i would do a 20L divided 3 ways.

Deleted User
10-31-2009, 03:18 PM
What I basically want to do is make use of the "spares" I'll have after we set up the 2 55g tanks and the 1 75g tank. When we do that, "left over", we'll have:

1x 20g tall
2x 10g (including a double stand)
1x 12g Eclipse (hate it)
1x 6g Eclipse (hate it)
2x 2.5g mini bows (like these)

So anyway... What I want to also do is avoid the temptation, now and future, to "rescue" more bettas leaving me with lots of betta tanks with individual fish to maintain :ssuprised:

sheamurai
10-31-2009, 03:52 PM
yes, the temptation and habit of "rescuing" fish is always there, but all we are really doing is rewarding bad fish sellers by buying their fish. I hate to buy them for that reason, and I hate to walk away from the poor beggars just as much...
grrrr