PDA

View Full Version : primitive preds.

sunfishman
10-30-2009, 01:27 PM
would a bowfin and an arowana be compatable in a tank in the 175-190 range? im thinking of a primitive tank. or in the case that an aro. isnt available would a pacman catfish be ok?

Crispy
10-30-2009, 01:35 PM
demjor19 keeps a bowfin with his arowana and garpike in a 180 I believe. He has a feeding video somewhere which shows them all. Worth checking out. He would be the best help I can think of here.

found the video...

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=51935

sunfishman
10-30-2009, 01:41 PM
it says that the vid has either been moved or deleted

Crispy
10-30-2009, 01:43 PM
it says that the vid has either been moved or deleted

Yes, I see that now. PM him, cuz I'm sure he will gladly answer all your bowfin w/aro questions. Not sure why he would take down the video, it was just posted a few weeks ago.

Lady Hobbs
10-30-2009, 01:44 PM
You never, ever can be sure with fish. Sex plays a role in how well they get along and if they have been raised together since juvies. It's just a guessing game from there out.

sunfishman
10-30-2009, 01:52 PM
i was thinking of getting a 3-4 inch aro and the smallest bow i could find and let them grow up together. but like you said, these things are unpredictable. if needed i will move one of them to another tank or a pond

Demjor19
10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
I did remove that vid. Will shoot another one eventually.

It is very important to mention that Bowfin are a somewhat insane fish and randomly super aggressive (I know...it doesn't really make sense). If you try this make sure the Arowana is considerably larger then the Bowfin...but not too much larger. Pred community tanks require a ton of thought, precaution, research, and fallback plans. When things go wrong...they go terribly wrong.

Also...the 180 is only temporary...keep that in mind. Other than that...they make an awesome combo!

Crispy
10-30-2009, 07:49 PM
^^^ There's the man with your answer. :hmm3grin2orange: