PDA

View Full Version : Help with fungus/fin rot!!

EnyaGirl
10-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Hello all-
I have a betta with a fungus on the bottom of his tail fin. No spots anywhere else on his body as far as I can see. I treated the tank with Bettafix yesterday, and now this morning it appears the piece of fin that's affected is partially breaking off. Does anyone know if this is what's supposed to happen with Bettafix? I debated over whether to treat with this or the Jungle Fungus Clear. Ooooh wait! I just went to look in the tank, and he must have gotten startled and swam around the tank really fast, and the part of the fin with the fungus on it broke off!! Is this a good sign?! I love my little Betta. He keeps me company at work every day. I'd hate it if something happened to him :scry:

Lab_Rat
10-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Clean water is the best thing you can do for him. I would also treat with Pimafix as it is good for fungus. Bettafix will not do much for fungal infections.

EnyaGirl
10-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks Lab. His water is clean. I do a partial water change every week, and just yesterday did about a 30% change. Now that the fungus-coated piece of his fin has "broken" off, would Pimafix be necessary? Wouldn't I continue with the Bettafix to facilitate re-growth of the damaged tissue?

Lolita
10-28-2009, 06:21 PM
When your fish is sick the absolute best thing you can do for them is OFTEN water changes.

I'm talking daily water changes if it's possible. Keep the water as clean as you possibly can.

Doing a 25% water change daily will probably help a lot.

Twe3k
10-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks Lab. His water is clean. I do a partial water change every week, and just yesterday did about a 30% change. Now that the fungus-coated piece of his fin has "broken" off, would Pimafix be necessary? Wouldn't I continue with the Bettafix to facilitate re-growth of the damaged tissue?

cure the fungus first, then facilitate the re-growth

Sharkman
10-28-2009, 07:04 PM
yep I agree. If the betta is at work try to maybe do a partial water change every other day until he looks cured.

Pele
10-28-2009, 10:34 PM
Add a little salt, that will help him grow his tail back

Sharon
10-29-2009, 12:08 AM
I think Bettafix is the same as Pimafix...just a more diluted form. I'd continue the Bettafix, keep the water clean...it should be OK...

Lab_Rat
10-29-2009, 03:28 AM
I think Bettafix is the same as Pimafix...just a more diluted form. I'd continue the Bettafix, keep the water clean...it should be OK...

The Bettafix is actually the dilute form of Melafix, which is melaleuca (tea tree) oil, and primarily useful for bacterial infections. Pimafix, the antifungal, is an extract from the west indian bay tree. If you have tail rot use the Bettafix, if you have fungus, use the Pimafix.

EnyaGirl
10-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. The part of the fin with the fungus did break off, so I will continue with the Bettafix for regrowth. However, the little guy is still not eating. I feed him TetraBetta mini pellets, and he is spitting them out. Any ideas for what else I could try feeding him? I haven't seen him eat in a few days and am getting worried.

Also, if I'm treating the tank with Bettafix, won't water changes remove a large portion of it from the water? Should I do it anyway?

DrNic
10-29-2009, 01:49 PM
From my experience not all bettas will eat pellet food. The one we have now is very stubborn and will only eat flakes. I would try to put some flakes in to see if he takes those any better.

Also, you should think about adding some java moss to the tank if possible. It's very easy to take care of and helps keep the water in good condition.

I hope your fish gets better!thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
10-29-2009, 02:00 PM
These two "meds" appear to me to do about the same thing.

Pimafix: Fungus and cottony growth/ mouth and body fungus/reddening of fins and body.

Melafix: Open red sores/ Fin and Tail Rot/ Cloudy eyes, pop eye, blody slime and mouth fungus/ open body wounds.

Sounds to me as they do the same thing. I have found for slight fungus they work OK if caught right away but for serious injury/illness I'd have to go for the "big guns".

Fungus is fungus no matter if it's of the body, the eyes, the fins or the tail. They make it to sound as each condition needs another medication when it's one problem.....fungus.

VoidParadigm
10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
Could try getting him to eat something a big more appetizing. Bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. Also; Check the ingredients on your pellets. If there's a lot of plant matter in it it could be what's turning him off. Bettas are carnivorous, and only nibble at plants when there is absolutely nothing left. There are some "betta" foods out there that are completely wrong for bettas.

For waterchanges with meds I do my large waterchange, AND THEN add the dosage of meds. That ensures clean water, but all the benefits on the medication remain.

Lab_Rat
10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
These two "meds" appear to me to do about the same thing.

Pimafix: Fungus and cottony growth/ mouth and body fungus/reddening of fins and body.

Melafix: Open red sores/ Fin and Tail Rot/ Cloudy eyes, pop eye, blody slime and mouth fungus/ open body wounds.

Sounds to me as they do the same thing. I have found for slight fungus they work OK if caught right away but for serious injury/illness I'd have to go for the "big guns".

Fungus is fungus no matter if it's of the body, the eyes, the fins or the tail. They make it to sound as each condition needs another medication when it's one problem.....fungus.

While Melafix does have some anti-fungal properties, it doesn't tend to hit the fungal species that cause issues with fish fungal diseases. Pimafix is better for hitting those microorganisms.

Melafix is good for mild bacterial infections, including mouth fungus (which is not really a fungus, it's a bacterial infection.)

These can be used in combination, which is helpful if you are not sure whether you're dealing with a bacterial or fungal infection. It is important to treat bacterial infections with an antibacterial and fungal infections with an antifungal as bacteria and fungi are totally different organisms.

EnyaGirl
10-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Sighh....well today is Day 4 of treatment with Bettafix, and little Benny is still not eating, and for the most part hides near the bottom behind a plant, just coming up for air every now and then. His fins look fine (except for the bit of chunk that fell off that had the fungus on it). The rest of him looks fine. I've tried feeding the pellets, flakes and even brine shrimp. He shows no interest. I've done a 25% water change twice over the last four days. Water temp. is perfect, and no ammo or nitrites. I don't know what to do!! :scry:

Does anyone think I should try Pimafix and stop the Bettafix? I've got a bottle right here, but treated the tank with Bettafix already this morning around 9am. It's now 3pm. Thoughts??

EnyaGirl
10-30-2009, 07:09 PM
Labrat--- I just re-read your post and I think you answered my question about using Pimafix and Bettafix together.

Lab_Rat
10-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Yeah, at this point I'd try both together and just keep doing the water changes like you're doing. Good luck with him.

EnyaGirl
11-03-2009, 07:09 PM
Just reporting...no change :( I come into work in the morning just wishing he would be dead. That's horrible, but he's just showing no signs of improvement, still won't eat, etc. He just sits at the bottom, comes up for air every now and then and then swims right back down. I've done water changes, to no avail. Poor Benny :(

Lab_Rat
11-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Have you tried tempting him with some bloodworms?