PDA

View Full Version : What Else Can I Stuff in My Filters?

Rue
04-10-2007, 01:06 AM
Okay...both my Emperor 280s are up and running (quietly) in my 55g tank.

I put in new sponges and carbon bags (came with the tank)...I have the biowheels spinning nicely...

Should I put carbon in one clamshell in one filter and more media, such as another sponge or bio-balls in the other filter?

Or is that just over-kill?

...I like the carbon...keeps things sparkling and smelling nice...

xoolooxunny
04-10-2007, 04:06 AM
I went through about 3 pints of carbon a month in my 75 gallon for the same reasons. I recently stopped using it to see if my plants would benefit by keeping more trace elements in the water. Plant growth has increased with the addition of more DIY C02, but since i took carbon out, i get the same growth rate, but it seems that im starting to get a little algae on the leaves, so i think I'll go back to the carbon. (FYI water changes have stayed the same throughout the carbon/no carbon swap). I'm less than a year old at the planted tank, so I'm experimenting with little things like this.

cocoa_pleco
04-10-2007, 04:25 AM
i always use carbon. I skipped it on my planted tank, and nothing happened.

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2007, 04:37 AM
I would have gotten 2 Emporers 400. The price to buy is not that much more and would have given you even better filtering. Or 2 Penguins 350's. My 55 gallon currently has one of each.

Rue
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
...well, they came with the tank...and since they're working, I'll be keeping them...

...left to my own devices I would've stayed with the AquaClear...

Each 280 is rated up to 50 gallons...so that gives me 100g filtration on the 55g tank...not quite double...but should be okay...esp. if I put the extra media in them...

I also got a UV sterilizer with the tank...not quite sure what I can do with it...

Drumachine09
04-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I also got a UV sterilizer with the tank...not quite sure what I can do with it...

You can ship it to me! lol

cocoa_pleco
04-10-2007, 10:54 PM
same, id take it in a second. Those things kill algae and parasites

Rue
04-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I wish it came with instructions! Don't quite know how to use it or set it up...don't know if and how to change the bulb...or where to get one from...

...the next rainy day I have...I'll see what I can find out about it...all I know is that it's a Jebo...which I think is a cheap brand...

Drumachine09
04-10-2007, 11:04 PM
I wish it came with instructions! Don't quite know how to use it or set it up...don't know if and how to change the bulb...or where to get one from...

...the next rainy day I have...I'll see what I can find out about it...all I know is that it's a Jebo...which I think is a cheap brand...

Is it an Inline UV?

cocoa_pleco
04-10-2007, 11:07 PM
if you live by a superpet, they sell UV's. just say you bought one from them and need one quick look at the instructions

Rue
04-10-2007, 11:15 PM
LOL...what's an inline-UV? I really know very little about them!

Sorry...we ain't got no SuperPets in the province! And Petsmart only seems to carry one designed for ponds...

cocoa_pleco
04-10-2007, 11:45 PM
what province? manitoba?

Drumachine09
04-11-2007, 02:15 AM
LOL...what's an inline-UV? I really know very little about them!

Sorry...we ain't got no SuperPets in the province! And Petsmart only seems to carry one designed for ponds...

An inline UV is where it attatches to either the intake or exhaust (i dont know which one, if it even matters) on a cannister filter. Do you have a canny?

cocoa_pleco
04-11-2007, 02:35 AM
superpet sells the ones that just suction cup. I dont think she has a canister, just some bio-wheels

Drumachine09
04-11-2007, 02:41 AM
superpet sells the ones that just suction cup. I dont think she has a canister, just some bio-wheels

I think its a dude.

cocoa_pleco
04-11-2007, 02:44 AM
*awkward*

Sorry sir:22:

Rue
04-11-2007, 03:28 AM
LOL...you're too funny...the lot of you...

I live in SK...Rue is a female name...hence I'm female...I work in a professional capacity...researching aquariums now for fun...

I'm also the mother of 3...ages 17, 15 and almost 12...

...so I feel perfectly at home telling all of you to 'GO TO YOUR ROOMS'...

...anyhoo...no canister...although it might connect to one...that would explain the algae filled tubing still attached to one end of it...

cocoa_pleco
04-11-2007, 03:31 AM
HAHA! i pwn3d you drumachine!:hmm3grin2orange:

Drumachine09
04-11-2007, 03:41 AM
LOL...you're too funny...the lot of you...

I live in SK...Rue is a female name...hence I'm female...I work in a professional capacity...researching aquariums now for fun...

I'm also the mother of 3...ages 17, 15 and almost 12...

...so I feel perfectly at home telling all of you to 'GO TO YOUR ROOMS'...

...anyhoo...no canister...although it might connect to one...that would explain the algae filled tubing still attached to one end of it...

But MOOOooom!

cocoa_pleco
04-11-2007, 03:46 AM
its like cartman on southpark.

But mooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oommmmmm, cant i go?

lol

Leftyroc
04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
This is a great thread here...

My understanding is the in-line UV goes on the intake of the cannister because if it goes on the exhaust it will kill any beneficial bacterial that is being released from the cannister. I may be wrong but that was my understanding from my LFS. That guy also told my I should go with no carbon in my cannisters and use my whisper 60 HOTB for carbon.:14: