PDA

View Full Version : Mixing different species of crabs

RudyTT
10-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Hi everyone, just want to find out if anyone out there has experience keeping different species of crabs together.

I have a 30 liter tank and I keep two vampire crabs, one tomato crab, and one red claw crabs together (the other red claw crab is still sick and I keep her in a separate 'hospital' tank). I made sure that they have 2/3 land surface and 1/3 water surface and also put in a lot of 'furniture' inside for them to climb up on, run, and hide.

Yesterday was the first time I introduced them all together into the big tank (previously they were kept separate in smaller tanks) and I noticed that the red claw crabs has been bullying the rest of the crabs! He will chase the others around and sometimes will pounce on the smaller ones. Of course the always escape.

I know this is nature at work, but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do for my crustacean friends! I think it's be very stressful for the rest (who seems amicable with one another) to live with a bully lurking around in their compound!

I'd like to hear your opinions/ and experiences.

Thank you in advance =)

Northernguy
10-27-2009, 04:38 AM
I have never kept anything but crayfish.
I do think that one will survive in time.
I do think they will fight.As soon as they molt,they are easy prey!

aquatic lover
10-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Hi everyone, just want to find out if anyone out there has experience keeping different species of crabs together.

I have a 30 liter tank and I keep two vampire crabs, one tomato crab, and one red claw crabs together (the other red claw crab is still sick and I keep her in a separate 'hospital' tank). I made sure that they have 2/3 land surface and 1/3 water surface and also put in a lot of 'furniture' inside for them to climb up on, run, and hide.

Yesterday was the first time I introduced them all together into the big tank (previously they were kept separate in smaller tanks) and I noticed that the red claw crabs has been bullying the rest of the crabs! He will chase the others around and sometimes will pounce on the smaller ones. Of course the always escape. now this is nature at work, but I'm not sure if there is anything I can do for my crustacean friends! I think it's be very stressful for the rest (who seems amicable with one another) to live with a bully lurking around in their compound!

I'd like to hear your opinions/ and experiences.

Thank you in advance =)You need to have a pair of the same crabs so two vampire crabs two tomato crabs and two red claws. other wise the one bred of crab in the tank will get depressed and will be bullied by the other breeds. Crabs usualy don't mix well. The mini crabs(fiddlers, ghost crabs and a lot of others)pretty much get along as long as you monitor them, but it's a 40% they will kill each other. I know a lot about crabs, but are the tomato crabs chili crabs? Because those crabs have a lot of names. Your tank size is good. Provide climbing and hiding spots. And provide land.