PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on a last addition to the 10 gallon!

Lolita
10-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Hi hi all!

Okay so I have my 7 tetra and my dwarf gourami! (It was supposed to be 6 tetra, but the 7th one kinda snuck in there so I let it stay Lol!)

In about a week I'd like to add one more variety of fish for the tank!

Dad says he wants something really bright to stand out against the other fish in there. I suggested maybe 3 guppies or 2 or 3 male sunset platies. Would 3 platies be way too much though? I don't want to over stock the tank.

I also thought maybe some glofish? I'm not sure if danios and gourami will go well together though... what do you think? Do they need to be in large schools or will I be able to get away with just 3 or so? Or since they're small fish, do you think I'd be okay getting a small school of them?

If I can get glofish I think dad would be really happy with the stark brightness...plus they're really active, so they'd be a nice addition if I can get them!

I'd love any advice on the topic! I'm trying very hard to listen to the advice I get on there, and I think so far I'm doing a good job doing it. Thank you all so much for all the help!!

rich311k
10-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I don't know if I would put anything else in the tank, maybe some pygmy corys.

Lolita
10-27-2009, 12:35 AM
Wow that was super fast!

I wasn't sure if adding a few danios would be the same bioload as a few cories.

I showed dad the pygmy cories and he didn't like them. He specifically asked for "yellow, orange or red" fish, so I thought of glofish.

If I have to talk him into the cories instead I can--but I know he wants to add something to it, and since I took away all but one of the fish he bought, I kind of have to add something for him.

I don't mind having to do more often water changes, etc. As it is a 25% w/c on this tank only took me about 20 minutes, so if I have to do that twice a week instead of once it would be no problem.

Do you think that would be okay? Or is the problem over-crowding? Cause that I obviously do not want to do.

Lab_Rat
10-27-2009, 12:37 AM
Glofish need to be in schools of 6+ which would overstock you. Maybe 2-3 platies or guppies, but that's about all I would do. Even with that you'll need to keep an eye on your bioload.

Lolita
10-27-2009, 12:41 AM
Okay.

It's hard trying to keep dad happy AND trying to make sure I don't overstock this tank.

Guppies probably have a smaller bioload than platies, right? I could safely add three guppies to the tank if I was diligent about water changes?

Thankfully this 10 gallon is only a temporary tank for the office as Dad plans to move the office when the warm weather comes back, and then he wants to get a nice big tank (55 or bigger). These fish will be moved to that tank, or my home take then, depending on the inhabitants.

Lolita
10-27-2009, 12:45 AM
Also,

if it's absolutely a bad idea even with good upkeep on water changes to add, say 3 guppies, tell me and I won't do it. I'll just talk to dad and explain to him that he'll have to wait for the bigger tank to add anything.

But, if it would be okay to do it, and not detrimental to the fish as long as I'm careful, I'd like to do it just to make it the perfect little tank for my dad to enjoy.

rich311k
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
You could pull off 3 guppys. Just keep up with the tan.

Northernguy
10-27-2009, 12:48 AM
That bigger tank is coming soon isn't it!:hmm3grin2orange: lol

Lolita
10-27-2009, 12:54 AM
That bigger tank is coming soon isn't it!:hmm3grin2orange: lol

Lol actually I'm thinking about buying him a 75 for Christmas! Or even a 125... I'm gonna see what I can get for around $300! And what I want to do, since he's so obsessed with his angels... is buy an angel the day before christmas, and put it in my 30 for the night, then put the tank in his home office while he's asleep with a huge bow on it

=D And I'll hand him the angel in a large tupperware or something as his gift! Lol (after which it would go right back into my 30 until his new tank is up and running!)

That's my hope. That would be so wonderful... so hopefully my mom will go along with it!

Lolita
10-27-2009, 12:55 AM
You could pull off 3 guppys. Just keep up with the tan.

Okay, great! Thank you so much Rich!

I'll plan to do w/c on Tuesdays and Fridays at the office! I'll just make dad buy me a second python to keep IN the office so I don't have to bring mine back and forth LOL

Padams
10-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Have you thought about shrimp? they are enjoyable and some have very little added load?

It would give something for the bottom of the tank.

Lolita
10-27-2009, 01:30 AM
Lol yeah.. it's been suggested a few times.

Shrimp freak me out a bit though, as bad as that sounds. Shrimp and snails. :14:

robflanker
10-27-2009, 02:59 AM
I wouldnt add anything to the tank.

I had almost identical setup (6 neons and a dg) for many months without problems, but i felt like i couldnt add much more. A 10g gets pretty small when you add decor plants etc

Sharon
10-27-2009, 11:13 AM
I think I'd stop there as well...a 10 is easy to overload. Your Dad may find that the maintenance is more than he bargained for...

If you do decide to get the Guppies, make sure you get all males...or there's going to be lots of fry to add to the problem....