PDA

View Full Version : Horrors 75 gallon Parrot tank

HorrorShowRot
10-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Allrighty so here is how it is going. I have my 75 gallon just sitting there so I thought to myself I should really get it going again after my ick infestation. So I emptied it scrubbed it out with some white vinegar and its not dry. Has a bunch of streaks but will clean them shortly. Here is the idea for the tank.

4 blood parrot fish
10-15 Congo tetras
10 corydoras Most likely panda or an assortment

The substrate just using some geo system river bed rocks. Its nice and small so the parrots do not choke on them. Will be fake plants and have on one side of the tank a nice driftwood set up other side will be a rocky mountain scape. Plants will mostly be swords and have a bunch of these fake mossy stuff for around the rock mountains and in barren corners. Also will buy some other plants just to heavily plant the tank to make it look awesome and to create some different enviroments in the tank for the different fish.

Deleted User
10-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Parrots are the neatest fish!!!

I never realized they may choke on substrate? I have basic gravel in mine -- is that a problem? Haven't had them long enough to know more than that I love them!

HorrorShowRot
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Well my girlfriends dad kinda choked himself on a piece by accident he picks them up and spits them at the other fish all of a sudden he wasnt looking to good I watched the entire thing... Luckily I did or he might have passed on. I took him out and luckily enough he was a larger fish and I basicly pushed on him helping to get the pebble out it was about the size of a dime so it was pretty big. But thats the only time anything like that happened. So I am just using it as a precaution just incase.

HorrorShowRot
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
On a side note. He has a smaller one that doesn't even touch the substrate. The one might be just playfull or thats his thing. But I am sure your parrots will be fine. I am just a worryer.

HorrorShowRot
10-26-2009, 09:12 PM
Day 1. Cleaned the stand off aswell as the hood. Off to work ba bye for now.

jaysee
10-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Your girlfriends dad choked on gravel??

bushwhacker
10-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Your girlfriends dad choked on gravel??

LOL i saw that too. i'm sure he meant his GF dads fish. but that was funny:hmm3grin2orange:

HorrorShowRot
10-27-2009, 05:42 AM
LMFAO yea he did.xD Was brutal. xD Oh man i hate slipping up when i am tired:11: O well.

jaysee
10-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Bobbing for apples in the goldfish tank?

HorrorShowRot
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
No no he ate gravel jeez cant you readxD lmfao Oh and Update
Totally need to get a hood:)

HorrorShowRot
10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Update #2 allrighty me and my girlfriend put the gravel in looks pretty good.
:fish: :fish:

HorrorShowRot
10-28-2009, 05:58 AM
Update 3 Started soaking the huge driftwood piece to get the tannins out well most of em. Cant wait till tomorow.

HorrorShowRot
11-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Omg.... Just gonna throw this out there this tank has turned out to be the best I have ever done. Its cycling atm:) And I am so gonna enter it in EXTMO xD

insectocean
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
pics or it didnt happen

Scrup
11-04-2009, 04:45 AM
Update 3 Started soaking the huge driftwood piece to get the tannins out well most of em. Cant wait till tomorow.

use hot water whenever you can. REALLY speeds it up.

HorrorShowRot
11-04-2009, 06:59 AM
LOL Cant post pics untill after ETMO because then everyone knows it.... But yea soaked the driftwood in steaming water alot...

Lab_Rat
11-05-2009, 05:18 PM
LOL Cant post pics untill after ETMO because then everyone knows it.... But yea soaked the driftwood in steaming water alot...

If you started the makeover before the start of the contest (Nov 1) then the tank is ineligible anyway. Happened to me with my 29g, started it's makeover at the very end of August, but since the contest didn't begin until Sept 1 so Fins_n_Fur said it was not eligible. Had to make over a different tank and enter that instead.

HorrorShowRot
11-08-2009, 03:53 AM
:O Boo. Anyways last update everything set up and its just cycling the long and boring cycle...