PDA

View Full Version : american eels

amkid247
10-25-2009, 03:38 AM
well i've been keeping a few american eels for quite some time in a ten gallon aquarium. i started out with about 8 or so and they were very small when i first caught them. well most grew, one in particular and he has slowly attacked the others all except the tiniest of the eels. anyway here are some pictures of them and what is now left.
i feed them black worms, ghost shrimp, guppies, and occasionally small minnows.
ive recently found a pelleted food that the larger eel will eat to try to coax him away from attacking the smaller eels, but unfortunately that hasnt seemed to work although he does devour the pellets very quickly.
i currently have that one largest, a very tiny one that is hidden in the gravel, and another eel slightly smaller than the largest that is currently injured that im trying to save. :scry:

jaysee
10-25-2009, 06:12 AM
MMMmmmm, striper bait!

krystalsohun
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I'm not so sure that your eels are in the right size tank. I belive since they are so big that they need to be in a much larger tank like a 75 galon minimum. you do know hat males reach two feet and females can reach four to five feet!! if you look at your pics the dont have any room to really swim without having to turn. this is probaly why your big one is picking on the others. are these wild caught??

amkid247
11-06-2009, 03:50 AM
yeah i know i need a bigger tank, right now im done to the big one, and they are wild caught. im hoping to get a larger tank within the next month. right now this guy has enough room to roam alone with the size he is but im hoping to grow him to be as large as possible he's very interesting!

sunfishman
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
keep only males as the females would need a monster tank. i know iits hard to tell but after awhile the size difference will be apparent

Crispy
11-07-2009, 03:12 PM
yes, a larger tank would equal less aggression.

amkid247
11-13-2009, 04:07 AM
well im guessing the large one im left with is a female then since she grew bigger than all the others.
the teensy one is actually still alive and doing well, they were out together today on the surface of the rocks, and then i scattered some black wormsso that the little one could find them in the rocks. i should be getting a new tank soon ^_^

Wiggs
11-13-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm assuming this is saltwater?

Northernguy
11-13-2009, 06:18 PM
They are great looking eels.
How big do they get?

amkid247
11-16-2009, 04:18 AM
well american eels are born in saltwater but then move along the coast into estuaries and then up rivers into fresh water habitats where they can then grow up to a whopping 4 feet long!

Jridge716
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm assuming this is saltwater?

Nope, these guys can be kept in Freshwater for life.

jaysee
11-23-2009, 02:32 PM
well american eels are born in saltwater but then move along the coast into estuaries and then up rivers into fresh water habitats where they can then grow up to a whopping 4 feet long!

That is correct. Eels actually spawn out in the middle of the atlantic ocean.

amkid247
11-25-2009, 05:44 AM
yep right in the middle of the atlantic, "the sargasso sea"

jaysee
11-25-2009, 02:53 PM
yep right in the middle of the atlantic, "the sargasso sea"

You must be a fisherman....