PDA

View Full Version : Will a female Betta attack a male?

kenyth
04-09-2007, 04:58 PM
I'm trying to determine for sure which fish is nipping my male Betta's fins. The female doesn't seem to be aggressive towards anything and the male seems to primarily ignore her. I think I isolated and removed the problem fish (an unusually large and aggressive long finned Zebra Danio). He chased almost all the other fish incessantly lately, but I have never actually caught one in the act of nipping another, so I can't be sure he was the one. If the problem doesn't stop with the absence of this fish, then I'm back to square one on which fish to blame.

My community includes:

2 small Cory's
5 neon Tetras
2 Silver tipped Tetras
2 Gold LF Danios (both show evidence of nipped fins)
1 Blue LF Danio (shows evidence of nipped fins)
4 Platies 2M and 2F (one shows evidence of nipped fins)
1 Male red Viel Tailed Betta (badly nipped fins)
1 Female Blue Betta
4 ghost shrimp
1 Mys. Snail

None of these seem to be aggressive at all. The Danios chase each other a bit, but that's it.

sergo
04-09-2007, 05:00 PM
female bettas will typically run.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 05:01 PM
tetras and danios are the culprits

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Might be the tetra's. Some can be a little troublesome. I don't see the danio's doing this at all or the female.

kenyth
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
Might be the tetra's. Some can be a little troublesome. I don't see the danio's doing this at all or the female.

I would think so too, but other evidence doesn't support it. The Silver tips are new and were not present for most of the nipping and the neons are too small to do the kind of damage I'm seeing. If multiple fish are the problem, then they may be involved. The Tetras also seem completely passive for the most part. Who knows what happens after hours though?

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 07:05 PM
yesterday i had to move my betta from a tetra 20g to a heavily planted community 20g. His fins were looking a bit torn, so i watched. I never saw the tetras attack him before, but afterhours they were picking on him, especially the bloodfins.