PDA

View Full Version : Worried

Pele
10-24-2009, 10:38 PM
In a month or two im going out of town for a few weeks and need to get a fishsitter for my betta pele. Im realy nervouse though because last time i got a fish sitter, when i came back my fish had swim bladder disease and died (RIP Ares). So, i was wondering what i could do to make sure pele stays healthy when im away. And PLEASE do not suggest "dont go out of town" this is the only chance i get all year to see my family.

VoidParadigm
10-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Lay out very specific typed instructions for the fishsitter. The exact amount of food, what to do if the water level goes down, etc. If you can get a fishsitter who already has at least some knowledge about fishcare.

Lab_Rat
10-25-2009, 01:13 AM
How long are you gone for? When I go out of town, the fish only get fed every 3 days or so. I don't have anyone do wc's either.

DrNic
10-25-2009, 01:18 AM
I would suggest picking up an automated feeder. i've seen them at most retail pet stores as well as wal-mart. My friend from work has a handful of them that she uses when she goes on busniess trips. She says they work great. One tip though, set the feeder for a really low food setting and/or only feed every 48 hours if possible. The fish should be fine but this will help avoid fouling the water while you're away.

I hope you have a good trip!

Rue
10-25-2009, 01:21 AM
I would get one of those pill containers...the one that has 7 days (or you can get bigger ones)...and premeasure the food. That way they CAN't mix up the days or the amount.

For the rest, write out an 'Idiot's Guide' for the fish-sitter. I always do that if we go away...for the house/pet sitter.

Lolita
10-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Filling one or two (depending on how big your tank is) gallon cartons with dechlorinated water would be a good idea so they can top off the tank if the water goes down, and you don't have to worry about them putting dechlorinator in.

Also pre-measuring the food and only having them feed every other day or every 3 days would be a good idea!