PDA

View Full Version : Sexing platies

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 04:09 PM
All this time I thought I had two male platies and it shows from this picture that they are indeed females.

http://www.fishforever.co.uk/images/male2.jpghttp://www.fishforever.co.uk/images/female.jpg
edited!!!!!!!!!

Note the picture on the left has a rounded tail (fan shaped) and the picture on the left has a tail that dips inward.

I'll be.

see pictures the male (platy) is on the left and the female platy is on the right.

Willyleigh
04-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I thought that the picture on the left is the male, as it has the gonopodium fin.
Also the fish on the right has a large stomach which contains babies.

Am i wrong, on my Endler's the male has the gonopodium fin.

Drumachine09
04-09-2007, 04:42 PM
I thought that the picture on the left is the male, as it has the gonopodium fin.
Also the fish on the right has a large stomach which contains babies.

Am i wrong, on my Endler's the male has the gonopodium fin.

Endlers are guppies though. These are platys.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
i thought the one on the right is female.

Darn, now i dont know what mine are. They have a big stomach area.

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 05:25 PM
http://www.fishforever.co.uk/livebearers.html

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Great! I had them turned around and you are absolutely correct. I have edited my first post. Thank You!!

kenyth
04-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Sexing livebearers is easy. The males have a dingaling (Formally known as the Gonopodium), the females don't! Now when they evolve and start wearing pants, things might be a little more diffucult. :ezpi_wink1:

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes, when you see ear piercing you'll know it's male. *groan

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 07:01 PM
PHEW, i thought i was going crazy:ezpi_wink1:

Now i for sure know mine are female

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 07:29 PM
The reason I was even snooping around in Live Bearers today was trying to find out what in heck is taking my elder so long to give birth. I mean she's been huge forever, it seems.

She died within the last half hour. I was watching her just minutes ago and she seemed to be spending more and more time on the bottom. She had no fry so I have to assume she just couldn't have them. Drats. Thought for once I had some free fish.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 08:10 PM
that sucks. I havent had fry in 2 years. I want a male platy so i can breed
again.

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 11:28 PM
No biggie but I was getting excited about the new ones. Oh well.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 11:45 PM
i enjoyed raising my plecos when they spawned. That was really memorable.

Rue
04-09-2007, 11:49 PM
As far as I know...all the livebearer males have a gonopodium...

...I like it! Makes it easy to know what kind of a sex ratio you have...

You should always have approx. 3 females to 1 male...

*Sarah*
04-11-2007, 02:13 AM
My baby Platy's are doing great so far, all 18 or so of them!
I have 1 male and 4 female adults:)

Lady Hobbs
04-11-2007, 02:27 AM
I much prefer platies over mollies for some reason. I just like the splash of color they add to a tank, I guess.

kenyth
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I much prefer platies over mollies for some reason. I just like the splash of color they add to a tank, I guess.

I agree! Very pretty fish. And what little kid can resist a brightly colored fish with Mickey Mouse on it?

smaug
10-27-2007, 11:28 PM
hello all,sorry to get in on this late.My wife just got 2 pair of platy from lfs.Im confused a bit .the 2 pics at the top of the post?Which one is the male/female.Sorry to ask what may be an obvious question.Thanks.

Rue
10-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Always good to ask!

The males have the gonopodium...that's the 'penis-like' anal fin. The females have the rounded, 'normal-looking' anal fin...

Hope that helps! :ezpi_wink1:

mitcore
10-29-2007, 02:27 AM
the one on the left with the spear on the bottom underside is a male and the other one is female

Fishguy2727
10-29-2007, 02:19 PM
It is the same for all the common livebearers (platies, guppies, mollies, swordtails) and possibly other livebearers. Males have a gonopodium (rod-shaped anal fin). The females have a 'normal' fan-shaped anal fin. Since they are livebearers the fertilization has to take place inside the female (as opposed to in the water like those with external fertilization). In order to do that the male needs a tool (you know how guys like their tools) to get the sperm into the female. If you watch a male in the mood chasing a female, you can actually watch as he swings the gonopodium forward when he attempts to make contact.

CAF
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Endlers are guppies though. These are platys.
Endler's are NOT guppies!!!! Poecilia reticulata (guppies) Poecilia wingeii (Endlers)

CAF
10-29-2007, 02:35 PM
As far as I know...all the livebearer males have a gonopodium...

...I like it! Makes it easy to know what kind of a sex ratio you have...

You should always have approx. 3 females to 1 male...
MOST, but not all species of livebearers have gonopodiums. Goodeids and Stingrays do not to name a couple.

Fishguy2727
10-29-2007, 03:10 PM
Stingrays have an analogous structure, the clasper. Since they are not related to the common livebearers it is not the same. They are related to sharks though. Just like sharks they have claspers, a pair of fleshy extensions on the pelvic fin. Here (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/csop/claspers.jpg) is a picture of the claspers on a male shark. As said, they are not gonopodiums, but they are equivalent.

CAF
10-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Quite true.

The common livebearers are from the following genera:

Poecilia - Mollies, Guppies, Endlers, etc.
Xiphophorus - Swordtails and Platies

JoeH
01-02-2014, 11:42 PM
All this time I thought I had two male platies and it shows from this picture that they are indeed females.

http://www.fishforever.co.uk/images/male2.jpghttp://www.fishforever.co.uk/images/female.jpg
edited!!!!!!!!!

Note the picture on the left has a rounded tail (fan shaped) and the picture on the left has a tail that dips inward.

I'll be.

see pictures the male (platy) is on the left and the female platy is on the right.

Ok I am trying to figure out the sexes of the ones I got today. 1 is easy shes abt to pop 3 others all have vent fins open wide like the fish on the right and a rounder looking belly. I got 2 that are more streamlined ie no rounded belly, and their vent fins look almost like they are missing its just a pointy thing sticking back similar to the pic on the left. so am I correct in assuming I prob have 2 males and 4 females? they keep moving too fast to get good pics the pics always get blurry cause they move lol