PDA

View Full Version : white stuff/bump on my goldfish's head

angellover
10-24-2009, 04:33 AM
I saw white stuff (one white bump) built up on my lionhead's head when it rested at the bottom of the tank. But it just went away once it started moving/swimming. It seemed to me that it just dissolved in the water. Is that a disease? or is it from stress? This is my first time owning goldfish. So any help will be appreciated.

Ammonia 0
Nitrides 0
Nitrite 10
temperature 76

Little Embers
10-24-2009, 05:02 AM
If his head looks normal and the bump hasn't erupted leaving some sort of hole or other type of wound, I wouldn't worry about it. If it just disappeared when he started swimming, it may have been a bit of food matter, gravel etc. or even an air bubble that was on his head at the time.

How big is the tank and what other fish are with him (if any)?

angellover
10-24-2009, 05:20 AM
It is a 46 Gallon tank. I only have a pair of lionheads and a pair of crown pearl scales so far. I don't see hole on its head. Would there be normal for goldfish resting on their stomach at the bottom of the tank?

rangur1
11-08-2009, 01:36 PM
that sounds almost like extra slime production by the fish. the resting on the bottom is usually when water cools significantly 50 degrees / 10 cel.
check your ph, if water is too alkaline, fish will increase slime production to try to protect themselves.

bigbad-ratman
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM
my fancies do occaisionally rest on the bottom. if your lion head is growing a hood or wen, the white spot could be indicating that it is growing out. they can also get spawning rash, which can look like white spots on the gills. of course, if they get these and white spots elsewhere, you might have a problem.