PDA

View Full Version : Substrate color?

tori.lock
10-24-2009, 02:06 AM
This is a purely aesthetic question, but what color substrate have you found brings out the best color in your betta? If it helps, mine is a red (the sort with the solid really bright, intense red fins and then a grey-black body) crowntail. I've heard black is good for intensifying color, but I love the look of white sand.

If I go with the white sand, how hard/easy is that to keep looking white and clean? I'm planning on decorating with a piece of driftwood, anubias, java moss, some sort of crypt and possibly a bit of clover for ground cover.

rich311k
10-24-2009, 02:16 AM
Dark works very well. Light substrates show dirt more. A black substrate will bring out his colors nicely.

DrNic
10-24-2009, 03:19 AM
I like to use black gravel to bring out colors. I usually add a small amount of white, and either blue or red as well. Sometimes an all black bottom can look a little artificial for my taste.

VoidParadigm
10-24-2009, 03:45 AM
I mix 1 part light with 2 parts dark with 1 part black sand in all my tanks.

For example...
Goldfish tank: 1 part light blue, 2 parts dark blue/green, 1 part black.
Golden Gourami tank: 1 part light natural brown, 2 parts dark natural brown, 1 part black.
Etc.

If I had a red betta I'd probably be doing 1 part white w/ 2 parts light natural brown w/ 1 part black... but that's only because 1) that's what I have in my soon to be betta tank and 2) that's just what I had leftover. :lol:

tori.lock
10-24-2009, 04:35 AM
Alright, black is sounds like. I found a really nice one that's volcanic, so it's not a bright black, and it has some reds in it to make it look natural.

Lady Hobbs
10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
That would be my vote. You want the fish to pop out, not the gravel color.