PDA

View Full Version : how do i add brackish fish to my aquarium

truckin35
10-24-2009, 01:21 AM
i have 4 silvertip sharks and a mono. my tank is brackish can i add new brackish fish with out aclamating the fish to brackish water. because my locale fish stor does not use salt. and if not how do i aclamate them.

rich311k
10-24-2009, 01:39 AM
I would think that would be a bad idea. You need to get the fish used to the salinity slowly.

Northernguy
10-24-2009, 01:46 AM
I would put them in a qt tank and slowly raise the salinity level to match your tank.Raise it slowly from FW to brackish over 2 weeks.

truckin35
10-24-2009, 07:36 AM
i kind of figured i would need to aclamate them slowly but i am fairly new to this. i will set up a 20 gallon and aklamate them slowly. and i have put up my profile but it isnt up to date ill have to update it and put some pics on as well

kaybee
10-24-2009, 02:08 PM
What's the salinity of your brackish tank?

Many brackish fish have a high tolerance to salinity changes, including the fish you've just acquired (especially if the silver tip shark is synonomous with the colombian shark). A 1 day (8-16hr) drip acclimation from FW to brackish water could also work, seeing as you already have an established BW system up and running.

splitadams
11-03-2009, 09:30 AM
you can acclimate a fish to brackish in an afternoon

brackish fish dont live in a steady salinity and in the wild can swap from fresh to full marine in minutes

what cant handle the change is your bio-filter which would require you upped the salinity by .002 per week and no more to avoid killing off your bio filter and starting a whole new cycle

what i do is fill up my 10g about a quarter way with the fish only and slowly add water from my brackish tank in over about 3-4 hrs, and once that is done i do a 50 percent water change on the 10 gallon with my brackish tanks water let everything settle for about 20 them move the fish directly in to my main tank.

I have done this with puffers, mono's, scats, bream, bbg's, mollies and archers and have only ever killed one molly, which i suspected was dying from internal parasites anyway... sucks none the less