PDA

View Full Version : Starting Oscars in a Small Tank?

NWMountainTroll
04-09-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi! I had better give you some information before I ask my question, so here goes. . .

In approximately four months I am going to be moving into an apartment, and I will be taking my fish with me. So here's the deal, right now I have a 10 gallon tank with a small red tailed shark, 5 tiger barbs, and a cory catfish. It is cycled and I do frequent cleaning of the tank, and the fish are very happy in it. Keep this in mind I am going to come back to this in a minute (it fits in with my oscar plan).

I also want to set up a large oscar tank when I move into my new place, so I had a plan that I figured would work pretty well if you guys think it would be alright. So here it is:

I want to buy a smaller tank to start the oscar in for the next few months, I was thinking around 25-30 gallons. I'm thinking it will be very difficult to move a 100+ gallon tank. So when I do move out, the small oscar tank will remain at home while I set up the large tank for them and get it cycled. Once I have it ready, I will move the oscars into it and then take the smaller tank and move my other fish into that one (on the plus side it will already be cycled).

Cliffs Notes:

- Start small oscar in a 25-30 gallon tank for 4 months.
- Move oscar to 100+ gallon after the 4 month period.
- Move fish from 10 gallon into 25-30 gallon tank.

So what do you guys think about keeping an oscar in a smaller tank for a few months? Did you understand what I want to do?

Drumachine09
04-09-2007, 01:09 AM
Hi! I had better give you some information before I ask my question, so here goes. . .

In approximately four months I am going to be moving into an apartment, and I will be taking my fish with me. So here's the deal, right now I have a 10 gallon tank with a small red tailed shark, 5 tiger barbs, and a cory catfish. It is cycled and I do frequent cleaning of the tank, and the fish are very happy in it. Keep this in mind I am going to come back to this in a minute (it fits in with my oscar plan).

I also want to set up a large oscar tank when I move into my new place, so I had a plan that I figured would work pretty well if you guys think it would be alright. So here it is:

I want to buy a smaller tank to start the oscar in for the next few months, I was thinking around 25-30 gallons. I'm thinking it will be very difficult to move a 100+ gallon tank. So when I do move out, the small oscar tank will remain at home while I set up the large tank for them and get it cycled. Once I have it ready, I will move the oscars into it and then take the smaller tank and move my other fish into that one (on the plus side it will already be cycled).

Cliffs Notes:

- Start small oscar in a 25-30 gallon tank for 4 months.
- Move oscar to 100+ gallon after the 4 month period.
- Move fish from 10 gallon into 25-30 gallon tank.

So what do you guys think about keeping an oscar in a smaller tank for a few months? Did you understand what I want to do?

Although it does sound good on paper, most begginers make this mistake. I almost did, but thanks to AC, i didnt.

Oscars will grow EXTREMELY quickly if fed properly with good water quality. The general rule is go big or go home. Buy one big tank that will accomidate the fishes full grown size, rather than buying a ton of progressivly bigger tanks untill you finally get the big one. I would just wait until you are settled and get the 100+ later.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 01:23 AM
i personally think its best to start at a 55g to make him comfy with his surroundings

Rue
04-09-2007, 01:32 AM
I wouldn't rush to get the Oscar first...

...get his tank set up before you get him...

There are ALWAYS adorable little Oscars for sale...no rush to get one prematurely.

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2007, 01:33 AM
I say wait. Four months isn't long to wait. And stuff has a way of happening and sometimes that big tank doesn't come along as planned.

Nautilus291
04-09-2007, 03:31 AM
In honesty the only reason why you want to do this is becuase you dont want to wait. Which believe me can lead to bad things happening. I know its exciting to get/ know your getting a new fish but like jeffs99dime says one of the biggest parts of this hobby is patience. If you wait it will make it alot easier/ cheaper for you.

Although it is a good idea to get those tigers out of the 10g they really need more space to be truly happy.

crackatinny
04-09-2007, 03:35 AM
I started my oscar in a small tank, and would not recomend doing it, they grow very quickly and will soon become unhappy in a small tank.