PDA

View Full Version : Stone refill ?

Cri
10-22-2009, 09:48 PM
Sand and stones. I don't like the stones I have in my aquarium atm, besides the fact that it's almost bigger than the crabs. And they love to move it around. I'd like to change it, the stones. Or really, I am going to do that later this weekend. But I've been wondering...

I read from other ppl that they recomend that you use a light collor on the stones so that you can see the crabs easier. But doesn't that bother the crabs ? And also, I've been wondering about sand. It looks very neat and soft, but would the crabs enjoy it, and how do you clean it ?

:sebastian:

Northernguy
10-22-2009, 10:06 PM
I really don't think the substrate matters.Its up to you.lol
I would think sand would be easy for them to sift through to move around.
Sand is great for cleaning. You just hold your gravel cleaner an inch above the sand and all the dirt and debris gets sucked up.The sand should be stirred at every weekly water change to avoid any gas build up.

rich311k
10-22-2009, 10:36 PM
They crabs will not care what color you use. Sand would be cool with the crabs.

Maggot
10-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I have sand for my crab, as well as large clear rocks for him to climb on to his rock (though he doesn't really need it, but it looks nice). He seems to enjoy it a lot.

aquatic lover
10-23-2009, 02:20 AM
Sand and stones. I don't like the stones I have in my aquarium atm, besides the fact that it's almost bigger than the crabs. And they love to move it around. I'd like to change it, the stones. Or really, I am going to do that later this weekend. But I've been wondering...

I read from other ppl that they recomend that you use a light collor on the stones so that you can see the crabs easier. But doesn't that bother the crabs ? And also, I've been wondering about sand. It looks very neat and soft, but would the crabs enjoy it, and how do you clean it ?

:sebastian:Sand would look nice, it would be easy to clean with a gravel/sand vac. I like gravel though, I use gravel in both of my crab tanks. But sand would look nice.

Cri
10-25-2009, 08:27 PM
Got the tank material sorted out yesterday. While thinking about the "sand or gravel" idea, I finally settled on gravel. They like pushing it around so much anyway ( or maybe they dont... lol ). The "guy" inspected the land area right away, the girl found the hideouts first.

Got the moment today to sneak a snap on them. Still need to brush up on the skill tho. The "how to take a pic" thread was good reading, ty. The pea eater btw is the one I call female. Tho I have no idea still.

rich311k
10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Very nice crab! I like the substrate.