PDA

View Full Version : the difference between goldfish types

LovelyLayla
10-22-2009, 04:07 AM
what is the difference between a koi and a shubunkin?

Jacko
10-22-2009, 06:01 AM
There's quite a bit...
To start with, koi are not goldfish; they are a different fish altogether.

Main difference would be that koi can reach 3-4 feet in length and easily live 50+ years.
Shubunkin are a form of goldfish, they reach between 10 and 12 inches and live 15-20 years.

Other differences would be patterns and colorforms... shubunkin are basically a calico colored comet goldfish; while koi (being different fish) come in everything from pure white to black to grey/orange/white/yellow and a ton of different combinations... most combinations have a selected name for what they are, there are Gin Rin, Kin Rin, Asagi, Ogon, Kohaku, Sanke and many, many more.

Neither are suitable for indoor tanks, I've seen people try to keep shubs in 210 gallon tanks without any luck just because the fish are too active for the tank size... they really need ponds.

Koi are also alot easier to hand train, they can be trained to eat pellets right out of your hand, shubunkin can be trained to do this but with alot more difficulty and alot less reliability...

And quite a bit more lol
but I'm getting kicked off the computer now :hmm3grin2orange:

Neon
10-22-2009, 12:43 PM
welcome aboard AC !!!

you may find plenty of infos in the section dedicated to the goldfish .

enjoy and stay with AC !

Lady Hobbs
10-22-2009, 12:50 PM
In the goldfish section here, there is a couple red stickies of information on goldfish that you may want to read.

I'm moving this thread there.