PDA

View Full Version : Gold Spots on my Cichlids

jergreen
10-22-2009, 03:43 AM
Hey I have a 90 gal with mbuna's in it. I have a 4-Acei, 6-Msobo 4-Demasoni and 4- powder blue. A few of the msobo and powder blue have 2 golden spots on their dorsal fins. I've looked all over trying to figure out if its some sort of sickness but I can't find anything that matches real well. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Lab_Rat
10-22-2009, 04:19 AM
What are the spots like (shape and size)? You say they're on the dorsal fin, so it's not egg spots (those are on the anal fin). Can you get a pic?

jergreen
10-22-2009, 03:46 PM
I will see if I can get my wife to get a picture. (She is the camera expert) It is possible that they are on the anal fin as I'm not that up on the terminology. It is the fin right below the tail fin.

The reason I'm not sure that it is a desease is that the spots seem to appear in the same place on all the fish that show them, which to me is not a sign of random parasites or rot. I could be wrong though.

Oh yeah to answer your queston they there are 2 per fin and they are a decent size around 5mm or so.

Dixie
10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty sure they are egg spots and nothing to worry about (perfectly normal) if they are on the fin below the tail. You might want to post a pic to be sure though.

Lab_Rat
10-22-2009, 03:55 PM
I will see if I can get my wife to get a picture. (She is the camera expert) It is possible that they are on the anal fin as I'm not that up on the terminology. It is the fin right below the tail fin.

The reason I'm not sure that it is a desease is that the spots seem to appear in the same place on all the fish that show them, which to me is not a sign of random parasites or rot. I could be wrong though.

Oh yeah to answer your queston they there are 2 per fin and they are a decent size around 5mm or so.

That is the anal fin, located right below the tail (the dorsal fin is the one on the back of the fish). Those are egg spots and are perfectly normal. It is one of the characteristics that can be somewhat used to sex the mbuna. Males tend to have more egg spots than females, though this is not always the case.

jergreen
10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the help.:ssmile: I'll see if I can get a picture up just to be sure.