PDA

View Full Version : Stripping fry or seperate tank for female?

hybridguy
10-22-2009, 12:34 AM
I am just wondering how many of you strip your females and how many let nature run its course in seperate tank. I always remove my female and put in seperate tank and leave her with the fry up to a week or so after she has them, but i have noticed alot of you strip, opinions please.

Crispy
10-22-2009, 12:38 AM
I strip my fronts only because I don't have a tank for her to spit out the fry on her own. I built an egg tumbler, so I can remove the eggs at any stage.

hybridguy
10-22-2009, 01:00 AM
thats cool is it hard to build an egg tumbler? How?:22:

Crispy
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
thats cool is it hard to build an egg tumbler? How?:22:

real easy. this is the one I built for $10 (with airpump)

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=38873&highlight=tumbler

Lab_Rat
10-22-2009, 02:51 PM
If I wanted to keep the fry I'd strip them, but only once they were fully formed since I don't have an egg tumbler. Otherwise I just let the females spit into the main tank.

kaybee
10-22-2009, 10:46 PM
When wanting to rear fry of smaller cichlids (6" or less) I net the female and relocate her to a 'maturnity tank' until she releases the fry naturally.

Were the intent to rear fry of larger species (such as frontosa's) I'd probably strip the fry.

hybridguy
10-22-2009, 11:13 PM
When wanting to rear fry of smaller cichlids (6" or less) I net the female and relocate her to a 'maturnity tank' until she releases the fry naturally.

Were the intent to rear fry of larger species (such as frontosa's) I'd probably strip the fry.

Why would you strip the fry from larger species?

kaybee
10-23-2009, 02:46 AM
It'd be due the fact that I don't have a tank that is properly sized to serve as a maternity tank for a larger fish (20-45gal with nothing else in it), and, also it would be a lot easier to reintegrate the larger fish back into the main tank if she's not absent from the main tank for a quiet a while (because they're kept in fewer numbers). The smaller fish are kept in greater numbers so their placement in the tank's pecking order isn't terribly disrupted when reintroduced.

Brookfish
10-23-2009, 02:47 PM
I strip my Frontosas but I am going to make an egg tumbler like
Crispy's to have on standby in case I make a miscalculation
on holding time like I did on my last attempt.:11: