PDA

View Full Version : Brown stuff on glass, diatoms/brown algae? (Pictures)

superyogurt
10-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi there! My glass has become really dirty recently. First there was the blue-green algae outbreak that started covering the walls, and now there is this brownish stuff. It looks like brown smudges, and it comes off easily on a paper towel.

But if it IS brown algae, how come it's starting now? I've had the tank for about 7 months now, I thought brown algae only appears for new tanks? I did add a new piece of driftwood and some gravel (which clouded the water slightly), would that have caused an outbreak?

I also have a Siamese Algae Eater (seems to be a true Crossocheilus langei), and it was my impression that it would eat all of the brown algae? It is a juvenile though, so maybe it's just not eating enough (or maybe it's getting full on the fish food!).

Here are two pictures of my tank. The patterns in the brown stuff were caused by my snail, which, unfortunately, pass away recently. But notice how the tracks are still there, as if the brown stuff hasn't grown since then.

Thanks for the help!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/verydairyfarm/DSC_0001.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b83/verydairyfarm/DSC_0003.jpg

Lab_Rat
10-21-2009, 11:56 PM
That is brown algae. You must have a nutrient imbalance somewhere causing it. Bristlenoses and otos are both great for it, I've never seen my SAE touch it.

superyogurt
10-22-2009, 02:09 PM
Nice, thanks Lab_Rat, it might be the fertilizer pellet that broke up and made its way into the water column. I'll do some additional water change or get some otos for it.

Neon
10-22-2009, 02:11 PM
my Otos got rid of it in few hours they were in the tank !!!

Aeonflame
10-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Aaargh!! I have the same problem in my 70. The tank is several months old now and I have an outbreak of diatoms. They are on all of my plants.. my beautiful green plants are now crap brown. I need to get a couple bristlenose cats. Maybe I can catch some in the river.

Aydreean
02-15-2010, 01:00 AM
bumping this thread because I have the same thing in my 45 gallon. It is all over the tank wall and on the large gravel stones, not to mention the decorations.

I'd rather get a fish to clean it up that to put any chemicals in the tank. I have been scraping it off the walls but then it just seems to come back stronger. Will any type of pleco work for this? I see bristle-noses are recommended but I was also looking at the clown pleco?